whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Default SSD as OS disk in a HP desktop

I am considering to install this SSD ( Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX30G 2.5" 30GB SATA II Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks ) as my OS disk in my HP desktop. I currently have one 350GB HDD on the system and my mobo allows for a second sata.
    My main reason for the SSD is that I expect faster performance. I would put all my user files on the HDD though and keep the SSD just for the system and some shadowstorage.
    Does anybody have any thoughts/input on such a setup? I would appreciate your input.

Choto Cheeta is offline Trusted Member

Does anybody have any thoughts/input on such a setup? I would appreciate your input.
    Well with SSD, it would be around 30 to 40% performance increase !!! wont be any huge jump

whs

Choto Cheeta, thanks for the input. I'll take 40%. In the meantime I have ordered the disk. But I went for a 60GB model rather than a 30GB. Next week I'll put it all together (I am changing the PSU and graphics at the same time). Then I have to reinstall Vista on the SSD. Once it is all said and done. I'll post a little experience report.

Choto Cheeta is offline Trusted Member

Next week I'll put it all together (I am changing the PSU and graphics at the same time). Then I have to reinstall Vista on the SSD.
    Try an disk imaging software... will decrease the installation time by at-least 95% ..

whs

Yes, that would be an option. I am using Norton Ghost since over a year. But I want to make a clean slender installation. My root images are 62GB by now and that is far too much. I want to get down to around 30GB. In additions I have all kinds of nits and lice in my system that do not work correctly and are hard to diagnose. So I want to get rid of those too. But thanks for the thought.
    BTW: is there anything I need to do in the BIOS or during the installation to direct the installation towards the new disk? I plan to reinstall from the recovery partition (although I have the 2 DVDs that I burnt from the recovery partition too). The only one system with 2 Satas I have came preinstalled - so I have no experience installing from scratch on a dual disk system.

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

Well, can you tell me the cost of the SSD?

he only one system with 2 Satas I have came preinstalled - so I have no experience installing from scratch on a dual disk system.
    Follow the normal procedure and select the new drive/partition for installing from DVD.. Sorry, don't know about installing from recovery partition.

whs

Cost is $129. Here is the link Newegg.com - OCZ Solid Series OCZSSD2-1SLD60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II Solid State Disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks There is also a slightly faster one, but that is over $200. If this one here works out, I might get the faster one for my big system.
    Last edited by whs; 14th March 2009 at 15:40.