roundhead is offline New Member

Default Basic Wired Router

Can anyone recommend a basic, inexpensive wired router to connect an Xbox 360 via a Siemens Speedstream 4100 - the choices and specs seem endless so any help would be very much appreciated.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

To be honest I would just go to Best Buy and tell them what you need. I would think since you are going wired, just about anything on the market at Best Buy will work fine. Just get what is on sale.

James is offline Microsoft MVP

Welcome to the forums, roundhead! As roraniel suggested, anything that a major shop has should be good. Everyone has their preferences as to brand; some like Linksys, DLink (which I own) NetGear, Belkin and many others...the biggest difference for most users is the Admin panel; some are intuitive, others you have to be a networking pro to navigate!
    Last edited by James; 15th March 2009 at 15:07.

Thanks for the replies.
    Not having the slightest clue or the inclination to manually set up a network, it's an intuitive one I shall require!
    Thanks again for your time.

I find the DLink interface a little intimidating myself, but the wizards are fairly straightforward. If you mess up (as I often do), you can hit the reset button and start all over again.

seti is offline Member

If you have a good independant retailer near you, go to them and explain exactly what you want and what you it to do and the price you are willing to pay for it, that way you will get the service and what you want, not what others think you need

Good advice, seti. I always liked dealing with local shopowners: keep the little guy in business and build a relationship for future services.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

May I ask a different question. You said "wired router" - does this mean your xbox is physically close to your PC/Modem? - If yes, you may only need a switch for $20 without the hassle of setting up a router (which can be intimidating). I think an ethernet cable can reach as far as 100 feet, although shorter distances are recommended because of the price of an extra long cable cable.

A switch sounds like the business, especially as the console will only be about six feet from the PC, but what sort of switch?

Thanks for all the previous input but can anyone be more specific - I have a PC running Windows Vista connected to broadband (Tiscali ADSL) through a Siemens Speed Stream 4100 wired modem and all I want to do is connect an Xbox 360 to the broaband.

The wired routers all seem to have a modem in them (not required) and the one piece of kit that looked promising was specifically ruled out in a small two-line Q&A at the bottom of the advert!

There seems to be a lot of very complicated hardware out there to carry out what seems to be, on the face of it, a very simple operation.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Regards.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Here you have a little selection (Hubs & Switches - BestBuy ). The cheapest will probably do. I have a Netgear for $20 - works perfectly since more than a year. No fuzz, no settings - just plug and play.