benkenobi is offline New Member

Question Please help - PC building

i am relatively new to pc building.
    after dealing with a non compatible wireless card earlier in my build (as it was a 32 bit not compatible with my Vista 64 Home Edition) this one now takes the cake, as i am about to pull my hair out.
    i recently have experienced a random complete shutdown in only certain programs, i.e. world of warcraft and team fortress 2.
    this is completely new as the computer ran fine for nearly a month before this occurrance.
    my computer even RUNS these programs for a specified amount of time, roughly between 5 to 10 minutes, then completely shuts down.
    while running, my internet connection and the graphics are tip top as the computer is new.
    there is no blue screen, (although i have recieved two in the past week or so that said MEMORY_MANAGEMENT containing dump files.)
    no anything.
    a complete shutdown of the computer all by itself, not like the kind you get when manually shutting down and the time it takes to go through the process, just a black screen as my computer instantly stops.
    this is EXTREMELY frustrating and any sort of help would be greatly appreciated as i can't seem to peg down what would be the hardware or software problem, if there is one, because something is obviously not right.

my computer's specs are:
    intel:c2q q6660
    gigabyte ga ep45 ds3l intel motherboard
    corsair 4gb 2 x 2g
    500w pc power and cooling
    sapphire radeon hd4870 512mb video card
    western digital caviar re2 160g hard drive
    lite on 20x dvdr dvd burner
    netgear wireless-g pci adapter

after any help on this matter,
    i may just name my first born child after you.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Is it only those two games?

It definitely sounds like a conflict of some sort. I would try posting on the game support forums with your hardware setup and a list of installed programs.

benkenobi is offline New Member

yes. i've been running the new internet explorer 8 for several hours now. i also am able to run all windows programs. (word, powerpoint, excel, etc.)
    i've tested the hardware on the windows grading scale and it comes out to be a 5.7 out of 6. i'm really at a loss on this one, troubleshooting has been a real hassle as no one has seemed to have the same problem as i do (on forums etc.) i've spent several hours just looking through similar cases but nothing that has gotten me closer to solving the actual problem

what i've heard:
    power supply (over current)
    overheating
    bad memory
    or a glitch in my motherboard or harddrive but im thinking its one of the first three.

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

sorry i forgot to add. thanks for the help. i'll look on the game support forums as well.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

and yes it seems to be only those two games.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

I just re-read your post and missed the BSOD details. I suggest you try reading the linked post.

Windows Vista Stop Errors Or Blue Screen Of Death

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

Your power supply is too weak to handle ur monster rig...go for a corsair VX450 or a tagan 600W or a corsair HX 620. You wont have probs any more...

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

Did you remember to put some thermal paste onto the top of your processor??? This is a common mistake and can cause the same problem as you described.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

i prefer you to use microtek SMPS and i think the cabinet of yours is quite conjusted and small as compare to your specifications, change your Cabinet and try a big one...

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by nitinagarwal1988 View Post
    i prefer you to use microtek SMPS and i think the cabinet of yours is quite conjusted and small as compare to your specifications, change your Cabinet and try a big one...

Don buy those cheapo PSU's go for the ones i suggested .SMPS is the main component for rest of the parts to work properly.Its not the Wattage shown in Model that matters but how much volts its provides on +12V rails like corsair vx450 gives 36amps on 12V rails and is 80 % efficient on load..One of the best ones...

Rajesh Pandey is offline New Member

Yes As Knight Rider said, Dont use el cheapo PSU's. Thats the reason why your system is giving BSOD on high load. Better Buy a Corsair HX620W for around 6.9k or a Corsair VX450W for around 3k