Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
    amkeew is offline Beginner

Default Any tips for a new laptop ?

Hi

I am a newbie from India referred to by another forum member here.

I intend to gift my college-going daughter a new laptop for her recent excellent academic performance. My budget is around Indian Rupees 30,000 to 40,000 (US $ 600 to 800).

My initial specs

Weight < 2 kgs
    Screen - 13 to 14 inches
    OS - Vista Home Premium
    RAM - 2 GB minimum
    Processor speed - 2 GHz(+)
    HD - 160 to 250 GB
    Wireless lan and blue tooth

Anything else to add to these specs ?

Would appreciate any tips for a good laptop available in India (either on-line or across the counter in Chennai).

I looked at sony vaio VGN-CS22GH/B costing Rs. 40,000.
    Sony - VAIO

Is it worth that money ?

Thanks in advance.

pyu.agrawal is offline Senior Member

First thing, try to hold off just a little while longer. PC's installed with Windows Vista, and purchased between June 26, 2009 and Jan 31, 2010 (final dates not yet announced), will qualify for a free upgrade to Windows 7.
    Coming back to your question, its looks impressive, but you may try to build your own at Dell

Peeyush

Thanks for the tip about purchase date. So, you think windows 7 will be better than vista ?

Dell light weight laptop studio xps 13 starts at Rs 60,000. Way beyond my budget.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Windows7 is no better than Vista. It just has a few more features on the one side and a few less features on the other side. But it is the future windows release that is in the pipeline and pyu.agrawal was pointing out that there may be a free upgrade to W7 when you buy the laptop a little later in the summer - that is if you can wait. I am running a W7 Beta (pre release version). I am only moderately impressed with it.

Anand, Nitin and all the other Indian locals, please give this man a hand to find a place in India where they have good prices for laptops. I have referred him here from another (American) forum because I thought you guys may know the situation in India better.

iMav is offline Gold Member

you won't get a "light weight" laptop in that budget. 30k to 40k the lappies are not for their build qualities. You will have to compromise on aesthetics in that budget. The Dell series in your budget are pretty good as far as usability go & you also get color options I'm sure your daughter would like that.

You have Acer as an option too. Croma is a great place to start.

Thank you whs for pointing me in the right direction. I could afford to wait till June so that I have the option of free upgrade. But can I roll back to vista in case windows 7 turns to be a dud ?

Thanks iMay. 40 K is my limit at this point. whs and I have already agreed pink is the way to go. Need to talk my daughter about that.

Today I saw HCL laptops starting around 40 K.

HCL Laptop, HCL Leaptops, Best Buy Laptops. Are they good ?

Can you post the links for acer and croma ?
    Last edited by amkeew; 23rd April 2009 at 17:42.

iMav is offline Gold Member

I can't really comment on HCL 'coz I don't know anyone using them. Acer, Toshiba, Dell, HP are all bankable brands for quality. Croma is TATA's electornic retail store chain across India, they do have a good variety of laptops on display.

http://www.cromaretail.com/

In Bombay we have Vijay Sales, Next & Sony Mony as electornic retail chains, though I'd not recommend buying from Sony Mony & Vijay Sales unless theres a huge price benefit.

Acer laptop -- 4530 a pretty sturdy one, not really sure about the price but should be within your budget: http://www.acer.co.in/acer/product.d...rAjaxHistory=0

Entire range: http://www.acer.co.in/acer/product.d...&CRC=600100215
    Last edited by iMav; 23rd April 2009 at 17:49.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

amkeew, I just looked at this site. There seem to be some in your price range. I know nothing about their quality though. They have, however, a few particularities. Many come with Ubuntu - I don't think you want that. Some say "including DOS" - I don't know what that means. Some have 3GB of RAM - that is optimal. Given the choice between more RAM or a more powerful processor, I would opt for more RAM (at least with Vista). It has to do with the way Vista manages RAM (superfetch and caching). NEVER buy a Vista system with 1GB of RAM. That is not enough to run smoothly.

I have some hang-ups with dell. I bought a 1420 inspiron for self just over a year back. Just after the one year warranty, the LT developed heat issues and was often tripping. Dell support wanted me to sign up for a 15 K, 3 year service contract to solve this. I, instead bought, a Rs 200 chinese make LT cooler and am forced to use this. But at least LT isn't tripping anymore.

pyu.agrawal is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by amkeew View Post
    But can I roll back to vista in case windows 7 turns to be a dud ?
    Today I saw HCL laptops starting around 40 K.
    HCL Laptop, HCL Leaptops, Best Buy Laptops. Are they good ?
    I would suggest, that you stick to Hp/Compaq, or Dell. Don't ever think of HCL, Sahara laptops.
    And for "Windows 7 turning to be a dud", you may downgrade to Win. Vista, although this wouldnt be happening. Wait for a few days to hear it officially from Microsoft.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last