nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

Default Kingston has introduced world's first 128GB USB drive

Kingston has introduced world's first 128GB USB drive. This 128GB drive joins Kingston's DataTraveler 200 series drives with 32GB and 64GB capacity. Kingston will be offering new DataTraveler 200 USB drives at $120 (Rs. 5,700 approx.) for 32GB, $213 for 64GB and whopping $546 (Rs. 26,200 approx.) for 128GB. Now seriously, one can buy a standard netbook for the price of 128GB USB drive.

Kingston's new DT200 USB drives features Password Traveler, a password protection feature for protecting critical data inside. The capless design features slide-in feature to protect the USB connector.

All new 32GB, 64GB and 128GB DT200 USB flash drives are certified for Windows Vista and enhanced for Windows ReadyBoost feature. Windows ReadyBoost is available in Windows Vista and Windows 7 to use any USB flash drive as a drive for system disk cache to improve the performance. However, it should be noted that Password Traveler won't operate properly if Windows ReadyBoost feature is in use.

Another company called EdgeTech has also come out with cheaper DiskGO 128GB USB flash drive for $390 (Rs. 18,700 approx.).
    Source | Techtree.com

leofelix is offline Member

128 Gb USB drive?
    This is a very important setp onwards not only for Kingston.
    Thank you

seti is offline Member

This is really important news as it means that we seem to be reaching a point where a whole lote of data can be stored relatively cheeply and pershaps more securely by companies etc. I can not however see that the average home user will have much use for it.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Those devices will make a lot of sense once we have USB3 and if they are being sold for a more reasonable price. At those prices ($546 for 128GBs) I see very little use. I bought a 250GB external disk for $50 and I can do the same thing. Even an SSD (which can also be attached via USB) is cheaper.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

^@ Whs, sir, you're right they are much costly but the key note here is portability and easy to carry. USB drives are much smaller than Portable HDDs. And it is arriving for the very first time in market (in 128Gb capacity), so, thats why i think they are so costly......As competitors arrivers, the cost will come down.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Nitin, you are probably right. Prices will come down over time. And by then we will also have USB3 which would make it a nice combo. Unfortunately they did not say much about data transfer rates (Read/Write speeds). If they are in the 20/15 range like better USB sticks today, I would rather have an SSD which has 250/150 and can also be attached via USB (hopefully also in USB3 mode). The SSD is slightly bulkier, but still very small. Will be interesting to see how this market develops.