eenbox is offline New Member

Lightbulb Solid State Disk (SATA) 128GB for Win 7...

Plan is to use SSD HDD for OS and other two HDDs I have for storage purposes (total of 800GB)...

Anyway, I have Vista 32-bit at this moment on 320GB (7200rpm SATA II). If I get SSD 128GB (Kingston) would I be able to "mirror" everything from this drive into SSD one and just swap them and reboot my computer? Would that work fine? Then once I get Windows 7 I would just upgrade it while being already on the SSD HDD ...

This would cost me now about 220$ but I think the prices would go down little bit over the next few months.

Thanks!

ee

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

I went thru this with no success. I have an OCZ Vertex SSD and tried to mirror my Vista with Norton Ghost. I tried the Ghost copy function and the restore function. None worked. Then I tried to install Vista from the recovery disk - I had my own and one from Gateway. That did not work either. It always got stuck somewhere in the middle. The only way I was able to get an OS onto the SSD was using the W7 ISO.

So I learned that you need an installation ISO in order to install an OS. That also rules out the use of the currently offered $50 W7 upgrade because you can't get anything to upgrade on the SSD - unless you can get your hand on e.g. some cheap XP.
    Another thing you might want to watch is the tuning of the SSD and the OS on it. It is quite different to a spinning disk. You have to align the SSD and the OS you have to tweak - see this (Guide SSD Tweak Utility - OCZ Forum ). The OCZ Forum is an excellent source of information that I highly recommend.

PS: $220 for a 128GB SSD sounds cheap - especially from INTEL. You better check the performance specs. You should have at least 250/150 MB/sec read/write speed. For anything less you might as well get a Raptor or make a RAID setup.
    Last edited by whs; 30th June 2009 at 14:35.

estra is offline Windows Enthusiast

Hey eenbox, please also check this tutorial - Upgrading Your Notebook Hard Drive To An SSD.
    The tutorial makes use of SATA to USB adapter and a cloning software, to mirror data from HDD to SSD.

Hey whs, I went to the link you have provided to OCZ Forum and see that people use the tweaking utility in Windows 7 as well. Since Windows 7 is optimized for SSD already, does in your experience the tweaking utility offer something beyond the built-in OS optimization?

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by estra View Post
    Hey eenbox, please also check this tutorial - Upgrading Your Notebook Hard Drive To An SSD.
    The tutorial makes use of SATA to USB adapter and a cloning software, to mirror data from HDD to SSD.

Hey whs, I went to the link you have provided to OCZ Forum and see that people use the tweaking utility in Windows 7 as well. Since Windows 7 is optimized for SSD already, does in your experience the tweaking utility offer something beyond the built-in OS optimization?

To tell you the truth, I don't know. I never made a comparison of with and without.