perfection is offline New Member

Default Memory Technology Device not visible in device manager console

I have a new Toshiba A350 laptop that has a slot in card reader. When i boot the computer and open device manager i can see tte same listed as MEMORY TECHNOLOGY DEVICE (MTD). If i open the Device Manager console say after 20 minutes the device listing is no longer listed!!

I have tried show all devices and show hidden devices but it just does not come visible

If i insert an SD or other copatible card it does read and exchange information so the device is working and th drir too is present

This device uses JMicron drivers

Yes i did accept an optional windows vista update for these drivers

...and i know i can rollback the drivers

but i'd like to know if there is any explanation for what is going on and is there a workaround or is it natural for this to happen?

estra is offline Windows Enthusiast

Is it the JMicron JMB38X flash media controller that you have? If so and if your drivers are older than version 1.00.29.02, then you can try installing newer drivers from this site.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Check your OEM Website and search for Windows 7 drivers....if it is available.
    Otherwise download Windows Vista device driver and try to install it. I have just made the same thing with my new Compaq Laptop...having the same device(JMicron)
    Last edited by rkonit; 6th September 2009 at 22:27.

John Galt is offline Beginner

If it is happening after a period of time, is it possible that the driver itself has power management capabilities? If so, see if Windows is set to power off the device when not in use. If so, try disabling (uncheck) that particular setting and see if it disappears.

Since it seems to work when you plug a card in, I suspect that this may in fact be the culprit.

I have an AIO in my desktop, but it is using drivers from *** dated from 2006 - on W7, no less. Therefore, I do not have power management capabilities on the desktop. I am planning on re-installing W7 (not upgrading this time) on my laptop, and since it will be a clean install I can check to see if the driver used there is also a jMicron or not.

perfection is offline New Member

What you say sounds entirely logical John, but may i ask HOW OR WHERE DO I FIND OUT that when not in use, whether Windows (Vista) is indeed set up to enabling this device to power off?

BTW - Can I change the power mappings for this device?
    Last edited by perfection; 7th September 2009 at 21:10.

estra is offline Windows Enthusiast

I think, that this card reader would be a PCIe device, so perhaps you could look into PCI Express settings, this article would explain how to get there - Configuring Windows Vista’s Advanced Power Settings.