hackerman1 is offline Moderator

Default Old PC & LCD-monitor, not working ?

hi !

i have some problems with an old PC & LCD-monitor, everything works normally when using an old CRT-monitor.

but when i connect my LCD-monitor, it stays black, i donīt get anything on the screen.

is there any reason why an old graphics card canīt work with a "modern" LCD-monitor ?

anyone having any ideas on how to solve it ?

John Galt is offline Beginner

It could be one of several things.

1. The LCD may not work
    2. The cord / connector you're trying to use with the LCD may not work (If you're trying to use a VGA cable and the LCD is digital, you may have the incorrect VGA to DVI adapter - there is more than one type of DVI, and it may mean that you need a special one as opposed to a generic one)
    3. The LCD may not be set for the correct input (some LCDs, particularly older ones, with multiple inputs, had to be manually adjusted based upon the input type
    4. Your video card may not be sending the proper signal (again, due to the difference between analog CRTs and Digital LCDs)

it could also be something else - these are just off the top of my head. Can you be more specific about your setup, including video card, LCD (brand and model), CRT (brand and model), cables, connectors, and adapters that you are using?

hi !

no, the LCD-monitor IS working , iīm using it now...

i use DVI with my PC#1, but the LCD-monitor also has an analog VGA-connection, so there is no adapter,
    and i know the cable are OK, i used the LCD-monitor just a few hours ago with PC#2.

i just wonder why an old graphics card doesnīt work with an LCD-monitor ?
    Last edited by hackerman1; 7th September 2009 at 03:05.

OK, you currently use DVI on the PC#1 (assuming that is the one with the CRT) and it works fine, but it will not work with the LCD. Is this a DVI to DVI cable, or a DVI to VGA cable for the CRT?

Also, if you're using a CRT, the refresh rate may be set to a much higher rate (well above 60Hz, which is the usual max for LCDs) - and without knowing more about the models, Video Card, and your methodology, there is not a lot else I can do.

I can say this - be sure to power off the machine before switching, as it is hoped that Windows will auto detect the LCD to make it work.

Another issue may also, again, be the various types of DVI - an LCD should work on most DVIs, but I have run into a few incompatibilities before.

Finally, as for asking the model numbers and such: It may seem like irrelevant information but in fact it is not only relevant but can also help get an answer that much quicker.

Think about this - if you call a mechanic up on the phone and say "My car keeps stopping" one of the very first things he is going to ask is "What is the year, model, and make of the car?" The reason being that, as a mechanic, he has access to information that sometimes the general public will not know about - such as a problematic fuel filter that is known about in older Ford SUVs, particularly the Explorer series. Without telling him this info, he really has no clue and will need to take a look at it (and even with him knowing this info, that does not preclude other factors as being the actual cause of the problem).

In this case, I can't ask you bring the machine over to me - all I can do is make educated guesses based upon what you tell me. The more you tell the more educated the guess will be.

EDIT: Added the following:

Forgive me, I should not just say "I" - I should say that anyone here trying to help you will benefit from more information.

(Aside: I didn't realize you were at sevenforums, too - just ran into your Forticlient post there....)
    Last edited by John Galt; 7th September 2009 at 00:35.

hi !

"OK, you currently use DVI on the PC#1 (assuming that is the one with the CRT) and it works fine, but it will not work with the LCD. Is this a DVI to DVI cable, or a DVI to VGA cable for the CRT?"

no.

donīt assume.

instead, read my posts above again, i thought i explained the problem clear enough ?

there is no CRT, i got 2 PCīs connected to the LCD-monitor which has 2 connections DVI + VGA:
    PC#1 is connected with DVI-cable, no adapter.
    PC#2 is connected with VGA-cable, no adapter.
    and everything is OK.

but when i connect PC#3 instead of PC#2 (using VGA), i get nothing on my LCD-monitor.

when PC#3 is connected to a CRT (with VGA) everything works, so there is obviously nothing wrong with the graphics card,
    so why doesnīt it work with my LCD-monitor ?
    Last edited by hackerman1; 7th September 2009 at 03:32.

My apologies - I did not realize there was a comparison of 3 PCs being explained here.

Now, as to any of the things I mentioned above, I still don't know what hardware you have on the machine where this does not work. I am not trying to be rude, but until I get more info, I really cannot (and more importantly, will not venture a guess.

Also, any answers to the questions I posted above?