riteshtechie is offline Software Developer

Default How to share internet b/w 2 PC's

Problem:
    I have got a Airtel BroadBand Connection a month ago on one of my PC, now I wish to share Internet on both of my PC's, what are the possible ways and which is the CHEAPEST one

• I have 2 PC's at home both running WINDOWS XP.
    • I have got a UTP cable that means I am able to setup a LAN connection in b/w them.

I tried this trick published in DIGIT but it doesen't work

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

If the 2 PCs are close together (let's say up to 50 feet), you can connect them with an ethernet switch and an ethernet cable. I have one setup like that and paid $20 (in the US) for the Netgear switch. Note: the cable can be up to 100 meters, but that is not practical because of the cost of the cable.
    If the 2 PCs are further apart or e.g. on 2 different floors, you will need a router. They cost $50 and up (in the US).
    Here are some of the switches I am talking about: ethernet switch - Search at Office Depot

oh thanks for this whs

iMav is offline Gold Member

Connect them over LAN, enable internet sharing on the PC that has the internet connection.

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    Connect them over LAN, enable internet sharing on the PC that has the internet connection.
    ENABLE how?

iMav is offline Gold Member

See if this helps.

finchey-lv is offline New Member

You need to get a router not a switch to properly mask your IP addresses and limit the direct accessibility of your machine. Even if you are only connecting one PC to the internet through a broad-band connection, you should do it through a router. A router sets up an IP mask that your computer hides behind and provides additional firewall capabilities so that you are less susceptible to hacker attacks. A decent non-wireless router is pretty cheap at $30-$40.
    Last edited by leofelix; 3rd December 2009 at 16:14. Reason: link to fraudolent web page removed