12th November 2009, 19:43 #1
Inaccessible External Drive
I have formatted an external disk drive with NTFS on my desktop. After copying a set of file on it I connected this drive to my Laptop but it does not appear in My Computer. The green light is on all time it also does not appear in Disk Management. On the hardware installation it shows an error. My both systems are with Windows XP. Can anybody help?
12th November 2009, 19:49 #2
You may need to assign the drive a letter on your Laptop.
How to assign a drive letter
To assign a drive letter to a drive, a partition, or a volume, follow these steps:
1. Log on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
2. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Performance and Maintenance.
Note If you do not see Performance and Maintenance, go to step 3. Performance and Maintenance appears in Control Panel only if you use Category view. If you use Classic view, Performance and Maintenance does not appear.
3. Click Administrative Tools, double-click Computer Management, and then click Disk Management in the left pane.
4. Right-click the drive, the partition, the logical drive, or the volume that you want to assign a drive letter to, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
5. Click Add.
6. Click Assign the following drive letter if it is not already selected, and then either accept the default drive letter or click the drive letter that you want to use.
7. Click OK.
Hopefully this should help. please comment if you succeed or fail. JR
Last edited by johnny.rotton; 12th November 2009 at 21:40.
12th November 2009, 19:50 #3
please go to start>run and type "compmgmt.msc /s" (without brackets).
Tell me if now you are able to view your external hard disk,
 ops sorry, johnny.rotton was faster and more accurate than me
12th November 2009, 19:57 #4
@ Leo its only cause I had a call about the same problem and had the info on one of my screens.
Last edited by johnny.rotton; 12th November 2009 at 20:01.
12th November 2009, 21:31 #5
14th November 2009, 08:21 #6
It appear to be a problem of missing MBR as Partition Table Doc does not detect this drive
It also can not be detected by Desktop powered USB ports
14th November 2009, 10:25 #7