NZshutter is offline New Member

Unhappy Loosing my CD/DVD Drive - Nero problem

I am a real newbie with Win 7 ,green as grass you might say. I have Windows 7 Home Premium and I am having problems installing Nero 8 Essentials. Each time I install this software, after completion Nero deletes the icon of my DVD/CD drive and puts a Nero Scout folder there in its place. It also seems to affect the drivers of the device as well, the DVD?CD drive has the exclamation mark beside it. I restored the system back to a time before Nero was installed and things came back. Can anyone help. Thanks

MrMBerman is offline Senior Member

I would recommend removing Nero 8 by not uninstalling via remove programs but by downloading and running the Nero 8 remove tool Nero - Tools & Utilities.

After removal and rebooting your PC reinstall Nero 8 in "custom" mode and untick Nero Scout Folder. Nero works just fine without it and it will prevent changes to the CD/DVD drive.

Thanks for the reply. I will try your advice tomorrow. Thanks again.

Unhappy

I tried doing what you reccomended but there is no way to untick the Nero Scout Folder. There is no folder to untick. I have tried all the folders that are present and all the sub-folders under them and there is no Nero Scout Folder anywhere, unless it is incorporated with another part of Nero. I didnt want to try Installing the program again because of that reason. Now I'm stuck.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Is it possible for you to do a system restore, after you have uninstalled Nero as mentioned above? Pls check if it helps.

MrMBerman is offline Senior Member

Use this command to remove Nero Scout from your computer.

Windows 32 bit;

click "START" then click "RUN" and type this exactly or simply copy and paste:-

regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\MediaLibraryNSE.dll"

or for Windows 64 bit;

regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\MediaLibraryNSE.dll"

StrayCat is offline Senior Member

@ NZshutter
    Scout's only purpose is to index media files on your computer and provide access to them from any Nero application, as if you need yet another indexer running all the time....thus only hogging system resources.

So once you got rid of Scout...the way it was said before, you should also try and update/ roll back the driver of your CD/DVD drive in the devicemanager or get an updated driver at the manufacturer's homepage.

Btw please check:
    if you're using Nero 8 or 9
    MediaLibraryNSE.dll probably is in the Common Files\Nero folder instead of Common Files\Ahead.
    So you might need to adjust the command to remove Scout.

And....Nero 8 isn't fully compatible with windows 7.So that could explain things too.
    Nero 9 is.
    Last edited by StrayCat; 24th January 2010 at 11:12.

Thanks guys I will try this and see if it helps matters. Again your help is much appreciated.

delta253 is offline New Member

Also go to support.microsoft.com and search on "upper filters CDROM" or lower filters.... for reasons I don't understand Sonic/Roxio & perhaps others put some kind of media filter in the registry and then the optical drive ceases to work and/or ceases to be detected. MS actually has a FixIt on the isssue. Check for that before replacing any h'ware.