crobar is offline New Member

Thumbs down Get a drive letter for an old slave hard drive while keeping the existing data

Hello,

My master hard disk has failed and I have successfully replaced it with a
    new one and reinstalled windows XP etc. Before the crash I had a second slave drive with some data I would like to keep on it. When I connect this drive, it shows up in disk management, but does not get assigned a drive letter. How can I get windows to assign a drive letter to the drive without formatting it and losing all of my data?

Both drives are IDE drives, the master is jumpered to cable select and is on
    the master cable, the slave seems to have lost its jumper, or never had one,
    but shows up in the bios as the secondary hard drive.

Thanks,
    Richard

MrMBerman is offline Senior Member

In disk management did you first left click to highlight the drive then right click for assign or change a drive letter option?

bill10 is offline Beginner

If you cannot assign a drive letter with disk management, maybe the file system of this drive is corrupted, you need a data recovery software to recover data, check this ---
    Last edited by HappyAndyK; 11th February 2010 at 07:53. Reason: link clipped.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

These days there are too many links directed to easeus, paragon, password recovery tools.

Such links will now be clipped; unless ofcourse there are new freeware offerings from any of them and the links actually point to the new freeware offerings.