magicmills is offline New Member

Question Internet WEP KEY Issues

Hi

I changed my router today and got my 1st laptop running no problems but when i came to do my second i cannot find where to enter the WEP Key. The green bars that give signal strength is where i used to enter any changes with the setting by right clicking and selesting the option i needed which was usually WEP key related. These green bars have dissapered and i cannot find where to input the key.

I am using a Dell Vostro 1000 for this.

I did re install XP months ago and this is when the green bars Went. Can anyone give any advise please.

MrMBerman is offline Senior Member

This might be of help:

Windows XP (either Professional or Home Edition) allows you to establish a wireless network connection to Wi-Fi network routers and access points automatically. This feature helps you to make wireless Internet / Wi-Fi network connections more easily with laptop computers and is highly recommended for those who roam between multiple locations.

Does My Computer Support Automatic Wireless Network Configuration?

Not all Windows XP computers with Wi-Fi wireless support are capable of automatic wireless configuration. To verify your Windows XP computer supports this feature, you must access its Wireless Network Connection properties:

1. From the Start Menu, open Windows Control Panel.

2. Inside Control Panel, click the "Network Connections" option if it exists, otherwise first click "Network and Internet Connections" and then click "Network Connections."

3. Finally, right-click "Wireless Network Connection" and choose "Properties."

In the Wireless Network Connection properties window, do you see a "Wireless Networks" tab? If not, your Wi-Fi network adapter lacks so-called Windows Zero Configuration (WZC) support, and the built-in Windows XP automatic wireless configuration feature will remain unavailable to you. Replace your wireless network adapter if necessary to enable this feature.

If you see a "Wireless Networks" tab, click it, and then (in Windows XP SP2) click the "View Wireless Networks" button appearing on that page. A message may appear on the screen as follows:

"Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. If you have enabled another program to configure this wireless connection, use that software… ."

This message appears when your wireless network adapter was installed with a software configuration utility separate from Windows XP. The Windows XP automatic configuration feature cannot be used in this situation unless the adapter's own configuration utility is disabled, which is generally not advisable.

To enable automatic configuration, ensure the "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" checkbox is checked on the Wireless Networks tab of the Wireless Network Connection properties window. Automatic wireless Internet / Wi-Fi network configuration will be disabled if this checkbox is unchecked. You must be logged on with Windows XP administrative privileges to enable / disable this feature.

magicmills is offline New Member

I don not see the wirless network tab only a general tab and advanced tab. how do i replace the adapter?

MrMBerman is offline Senior Member

If you want to reinstall the adapter you will first need to uninstall.

Make sure you have an updated driver.

To uninstall.

Click on Start and then Control Panel.

Click on the Performance and Maintenance link.

In the Performance and Maintenance window, click on the System icon near the bottom of the window.

In the System Properties window, click on the Hardware tab.

With the Hardware tab selected, click on the Device Manager button.

You can now use Device Manager to uninstall the wireless adapter.

Reboot PC.

delta253 is offline New Member

Dell Link for Wireless Networking
    http://support.dell.com/support/topi...919&l=en&s=bsd

Dell Vostro 1000 Owner's Manual "Setting Up and Using Networks"

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1052373