Thread: changing HDs

nichos is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default changing HDs

If I disconnect my Sata HD which now works well & connect a Pata one to try & format & install Xp on it, will the Sata work again when it goes back?, or do I have to reformat etc.

thanx .....nick

Zecom is offline Beginner

Hi nichos

If I disconnect my Sata HD which now works well & connect a Pata one to try & format & install Xp on it, will the Sata work again when it goes back?, or do I have to reformat etc.
    Yes it will work and you wont need to format anything, depending on your Motherboard you can run SATA and PATA at the same time, if your Motherboard does not support this you can get adaptors for power and data.

Thanx Zecom,

It supports both, only recently after some problems with these two Maxtor HDs I had to reformat & reXP the Sata, when I removed it to repeat same on the Pata BUT, when I reconected the Sata on its own it would not work & had to repeat all over again.

Asus A8N32SLI DELUX

ChrisRich is offline Beginner

It may just be a matter of boot setting in your BIOS. Adding another drive may make it hard to find the drive that's bootable.

Zecom is offline Beginner

Could well be ChrisRich, one very useful tool for configuring boot order is EasyBCD freeware - works in XP, Vista and 7 ... also Linux and can handle dual boot / tri boot.

Zenon,

could not find the 1.7.2 so downloaded & run the 1.7.1 but, it says you do not have Vista.