johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

Default Help saving my hard drive before it fails.

On of my hard drives is about to fail and as the end draws near I think its now time to sort it out.

Budget 0.00

I have: 1 spare hard drive but no free slots.

My Problem:

My hard drive has Photos, music and Videos on it so it is very important.
    Is there a way of saving the image on another hard drive that is in use swapping the old for new then re-writing the image for free? Or would it just be easier to copy the data to another location and swap it back again?

I think that the hard drive in question for some reason has information on it to boot the computer up so I will also need a way to check that as well?

JR

Doug_72 is offline Senior Member

Faced this problem once and was a bit late in reacting - lost most stuff! I hope something here helps you mate!

Thanks for the link Doug. Interesting read but I have some software to try out first and see if its safe to remove the hard drive, I still don't know if the fact that it is the primary master will make it difficult or not. It isn't the C: drive and it has no operating system on it, but i can't remember if I had a problem with it before.

well that didn't work for some reason my PC didn't pick up the new hard drive... Any one have any idea why that would be.

LeeW is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnny.rotton View Post
    well that didn't work for some reason my PC didn't pick up the new hard drive... Any one have any idea why that would be.
    When you pulled your old HD did you match the jumper fuses on the new HD to the settings on the old HD? Some never have any trouble with this but I have messed with a few Dells and some E-Machines that were very finicky with the jumper settings.

No jump leads required as they are SATA drives but I did get the HDD from an old external USB Western Digital. I reconditioned it but I may have made an error while changing over the circuit boards. I will get a new HDD over the weekend and see if that works.

LeeW is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnny.rotton View Post
    No jump leads required as they are SATA drives but I did get the HDD from an old external USB Western Digital. I reconditioned it but I may have made an error while changing over the circuit boards. I will get a new HDD over the weekend and see if that works.
    I have a 300GB sitting in my closet now that I tried to modify that won't read anymore. I know how you feel