charliegrl is offline New Member

Default Belkin Mini Bluetooth Adapter

So I bought this mini bluetooth adapter by belkin. Didn't have any instructions so I don't know if I did it right - I plugged in the adapter into the usb port on my laptop (running Vista, everything updated on it) and windows did it's thing, installed and ready to go it says. And so I whip out my phone with bluetooth enabled and nothing happens.

Then I put in the disc that came with it and try t install the software and drivers ... the software says that it can't find the adapter "But it's plugged in!!!" I scream.

I go to device manager and it keeps freaking out on me, it keeps constantly refreshing. And you know that noise windows makes when you just plugged in something into to the usb ports like hardware and what not? Well my computer keeps making that sound every few seconds until I take the cursed adapter out.

I tried downloaded some kind of driver off the Internet, maybe from broadcom or something like that. Don't remember because at this point I have tried downloading and installing all kinds of drivers and software. Anywho I somehow get it installed and so I plug in my adapter once more but it says it can't find the bluetooth adapter.

Long story short (little bit late for that though isn't it) I can't get the damn thing to work and I am in desperate need of help before my laptop "mysteriously" is into a million broken pieces on my floor.

LeeW is offline Gold Member

Uninstall all software and drivers for the adapter, unplug the adapter, then install the software and drivers before plugging in the adpater and see if that fixes it. Most hardware must have the software installed first, especially Belkin products

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yesterday when I was dealing with the adpater I did try and do what belkin's website said:
    How do I uninstall my bluetooth adapter?
    1. To manually uninstall the Bluetooth adapter from your computer, make sure the device is first plugged in to your computer. If you get a “New hardware found message” you may just cancel out of it and continue.

2. Go into the device manager (right click on My Computer, select Properties, click on Hardware tab, and click on Device Manager) and uninstall the Bluetooth adapter from there. It may be listed as an unknown or other device if it was not detected properly.

3. Next, you will go to your control panel, and double click on Add/Remove programs. In here you can remove the Belkin Bluetooth software.

4. Next, close out of the control panel and go to start, run, and type in c:\windows\inf. In this directory scroll down until you see files that begin with OEM. You will have a number of these files, depending on how many devices you have installed on the computer. You will see OEM, and OEM.pnf.

5. Start with the highest numbered OEM file, opening the .inf file, the one that doesn't have a .pnf extension. It will tell you at the top of file what product or manufacturer it is for. You will look for the file that pertains to the Belkin adapter and delete it. When you find the file, you will delete both the .inf and it’s corresponding .pnf file.

6. Make sure you go through each file to ensure that you remove all Belkin or WidComm Bluetooth entries.

7. Once that is done, close out of there and go to start, run, and type in regedit to go into the registry.

8. In the registry, click the plus sign next to HKEY Local Machine, then Software. If you see any folders labeled WidComm them.

9. Once this is done, you can close out of all windows, disconnect the adapter from the computer and restart. You should now be able to do a clean install.

and then tried installing the software before plugging in the adapter but still no go.

Is there anything elese this article missed that I should be doing? With step 2 I did have a bit of trouble; in device manager I didn't see any unknown or other device listed to uninstall.

I am thinking I might just have a bad apple. It came in the original box and never had been opened but unfortuantley I bought it off ebay and the seller doesn't have a return policy.

Very possible it could be bad. What is the model number for the adapter and what OS are you running, XP SP2 or SP3, Vista, or Windows 7. I just had to deal with a Belkin Bluetooth adapter at my mother in laws job that actually worked for 1 computer but not for another and turned out it wasn't compatible with Windows 7 even though it was labeled compatible, could be a number of things. Hopefully you didn't spend too much on the device, good thing is they are now fairly reasonable in stores.

I am running Vista
    Belkin Bluetooth v2.1 +EDR
    Belkin Part # F8T016

Thankfully only spent $14 and the shipping free so it didn't break the bank. Still though was looking forward to transferring photos off my phone.

Looked it up and supposed to work perfect with Windows Vista without needing additional driver downloads. Only windows version not compatible is Windows 7. So more than likely you did just happen to be the unlucky purchaser or a bad unit. Before throwing it out, I would test it on another pc if you get access to one to see if another pc reacts the same