jimclark is offline New Member

Default Slow USB File Transfer

I have two computers with identical motherboard and memory. CPU in each are i7 930 and i7 980.

I had to transfer some video files from computer 1 to computer 2. Each of the 4 files were 1.2Gb - 1.5Gb in size.

A thumb drive was connected to computer 1 and the files took forever to transfer at a rate of about 1.2Mb/s. Then that same thumb drive was connected to computer 2 and the files transferred quickly at a rate of 12Mb/s. Given that I used the same thumb drive on both computers I can't blame it for the disparity in performance.

Computer 1 is a little older and has a lot of software installed while computer 2 is fairly new with almost nothing installed yet. I expect that the 10x difference in file transfer speed is due to processes running in the background on computer 1, since no programs were running at the time. But how do I go about distinguishing which of the many processes are important and able to be terminated while leaving the ones required to run windows when I need faster transfer speed?

Or am I off track and some other problem is at work here??

soumya is offline Windows Enthusiast

Have you tried some other USB ports in the older computer? Does Windows give a message like this device could perform faster? And also what the specification of the thumb drive - USB 2.0 or 3.0? Does the port in your computer have the same spec?

jimclark is offline New Member

Well, I discovered the "problem" last night. I never considered that the write speed would be different from the read speed with the thumb drive. I did a test going back in the other direction by reading a large file from computer 2 to the thumb drive, then writing that file from the thumb drive to computer 1. Both computers are working the same. Fast to read from the thumb drive, very slow to write to it. I should have considered this prior to asking for help here. Sorry about that!