hedley1921 is offline New Member

Default USB Floppy Drive: Request could not be performed because of an I/O device error

I have an external usb floppy drive, currently drive B. I also have an internal ide floppy: drive A.

My internal floppy does not work and when I went to use the external drive a message came up to say 'The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.'

I googled the message but only found references to cd/dvd drives.

Just a thought, would the 2 floppy drives be conflicting with each other? There is nothing in device manager to say there is anything wrong with them.

Would anyone know how I could fix this error message.

If any more details are needed, please ask.

Thank you for reading and in advance for any help offered.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

What Operating System and Service Pack are you running.

There is a known problem for XP SP1

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811839
    Last edited by roraniel; 21st October 2010 at 16:14.

Hi, sorry for delay in answering.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate. I checked before I bought the drive that it was compatible with Windows 7.
    Just tried to save something to drive A & drive B, but they came up with the same message 'Drive (letter) is not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error'.

The drivers I have for both floppy drives are up to date and in the properties boxes of each in device manager there are no conflicting devices.

I read a few posts on google about how to fix this error message, but they all referred to out of date drivers and didn't say what else would cause/solve the problem.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
    hedley

Thanks for the help, roraneil.

I think I have stumbled across the solution by accident by uninstalling avg 11 av. I kept getting a message that 'there are no working components'. Had that up on the screen for 3-4 days and in the end I uninstalled it and reinstalled avg 9 av.

As it happens I tried the floppy disk drive again and it worked without any problems. Whether avg 11 was causing the problem is anybody's guess, but uninstalling it certainly seems to have helped.

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated.
    hedley