exmeaguy is offline New Member

Default New hard drive not showing up as an accessable drive

I had an old (6 months old) internal hard drive that I had setup as an external drive go bad yesterday so I replaced it with a brand new internal drive that I am trying to connect using my esata connector. It is the same exact setup as I had for my old drive that did work for 6 months.

The new hard drive shows up in Device Manager, and in the Devices and Printer panel, but it does not show up in my Computer Panel under Hard Disk Drives.

Does anyone have any idea of what can be happening and where I should look to make this new hard drive visible as an accessible drive?

Capt.Jack is offline Moderator

You might need to assign Drive Letter. Go to Disk management see if you can find it there. If so right click on it and click on Assign Drive Letter.

Hope this helps,
    Captain

bkr3 is offline Windows Enthusiast

Try Disk Management diskmgmt.msc via Run Command (Win Key + R)

X_7
    X_7 is offline Beginner

Cool New hard drive not showing up as an accessable drive

Quote Originally Posted by exmeaguy View Post
    I had an old (6 months old) internal hard drive that I had setup as an external drive go bad yesterday so I replaced it with a brand new internal drive that I am trying to connect using my esata connector. It is the same exact setup as I had for my old drive that did work for 6 months.

The new hard drive shows up in Device Manager, and in the Devices and Printer panel, but it does not show up in my Computer Panel under Hard Disk Drives.

Does anyone have any idea of what can be happening and where I should look to make this new hard drive visible as an accessible drive?
    Both Capt.Jack and bkr3 are right.

exmeaguy, my friend, follow both of their instructions and see if that's the problem. Find Disk Management like bkr3 told you by: "diskmgmt.msc via Run Command (Win Key + R)" or this way:

Go to---"Control Panel"

Click on---"System and Security"

Click on---"Administrative Tools"

Click on---"Computer Management"

Go to---"Storage"

Go to and click on---"Disk Management"

And look for your HDD in that screen, right click the drive and choose:

"Change Drive Letter and Paths"

Then assign a letter to the drive and mark the partition as:

"Partition as Active"

...if this is the case that your External HDD has been formatted to NTFS and it is one Primary Partition.

Let us know if you fix the problem or not. Thank you.

X_7