jb77 is offline New Member

Cool Windows 7 64-bit pro & not being able to print to older printers

Problem: I had an XP Pro 32-bit box, HP 5000n LaserJet (with an JetDirect card), both are in working condition. I purchased a new HP laptop, Cisco Linksys E2000 router. And now I, for the life of me cannot get the printer to print at all. I have downloaded all of the universal print drivers from HP still no luck. I really don't want or can go out and purchase a new printer right now. Is there anyone that could give me a set by set instructions out there?

BobbyD90 is offline New Member

Had some problem. Don't use the Win 7 network autosetup. Don't use the Cd's either. HP tech support is horrible. We bought a new HP 4015n and I called five time and got Costa Rica. No one could help! They told me to call microsoft! lol...

ANYWAY, set it up manually like in Windows XP. Create the port:
    allow it to search the network for your printer but click the button that says it's not found even if it is and then setup a TCP port from there and fill in the IP address.

alexlloyd5 is offline Beginner

Windows7 64 bit version accepts (ONLY) 64 bit drivers for any connected device, so if there is no 64 bit drivers for your HP LaserJet available from the HP download site, then you would not be able to install it under Windows 64 bit

I faced the same problem with my Lexmark all-in-one printer.

what i do now is that i copy what i want to print to a flash disk and print it from another system (poor guy's solution)

jb77 is offline New Member

Yes I downloaded all of the HP Universal Print Drivers. They do have a 64-bit driver and that's the one that I'm using. I don't know too much about networking and ports TCIP, etc. I'm looking for some step by step instructions. ;-)
    The laptop is a 64-bit windows 7 Pro OS.
    Last edited by jb77; 4th November 2010 at 19:23. Reason: added text

LeeW is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by jb77 View Post
    Yes I downloaded all of the HP Universal Print Drivers. They do have a 64-bit driver and that's the one that I'm using. I don't know too much about networking and ports TCIP, etc. I'm looking for some step by step instructions. ;-)
    The laptop is a 64-bit windows 7 Pro OS.
    Not sure how far you have gotten on installing it but if you have just used the software for the printer maybe this will help.

Goto Start Menu\Control Panel\Devices and Printers
    Select Add A Network Printer........., see if it can locate the printer and update it with the driver you have installed.