redblade8 is offline Beginner

Thumbs up External Hard Drive Not working (Solved)

Hallo, I recently bought a WEstern Digital External Hardrive ( WD5000AAKS) Cavier Blue.
    I got it working and everything before, and put files onto it.
    I then moved it to another computer, it does not work...
    It does not show up in my computer.
    In device manager, it has a yellow backgrounded exclamation mark.
    The device status is :
    This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

Any help would be much appriciated ! ^^
    Thankyou.
    Last edited by LeeW; 02-15-2011 at 12:39 PM.

LeeW is offline Gold Member

When you disconnect the drive from any computer do you first click to and select disconnect forst before you unplug it?

I have a Windows 7 Laptop and my gf had a Tablet with Windows XP Tablet Edition and I had been so used to Windows 7 I did not disconnect from XP before unplugging. It actually ruined the drive. Sent it back and the techs said it was because of not disconnecting first.

X_7
    X_7 is offline Beginner

Lightbulb External Hard Drive Not working

Quote Originally Posted by redblade8 View Post
    Hallo, I recently bought a WEstern Digital External Hardrive ( WD5000AAKS) Cavier Blue.
    I got it working and everything before, and put files onto it.
    I then moved it to another computer, it does not work...
    It does not show up in my computer.
    In device manager, it has a yellow backgrounded exclamation mark.
    The device status is :
    This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

Any help would be much appriciated ! ^^
    Thankyou.

Try following this link:

Well I can't post URL's for some reason, but just Google to the WD site go to the support area and click on "Technical Help and Troubleshooting"

And look for the right and correct driver for you External HDD, then re-install the driver and see if that was the problem. It might be just that, and hopefully it is just that.

If re-installing the driver did not fix the problem and you can't see the drive in your "COMPUTER" page, then try this:

Go to---"Control Panel"

Click on---"System and Security"

Click on---"Administrative Tools"

Click on---"Computer Management"

Go to---"Storage"

Go to and click on---"Disk Management"

And look for your HDD in that screen, right click the drive and choose "Change Drive Letter and Paths", assign a letter to the drive and mark the "Partition as Active"...if this is the case that your External HDD has been formatted to NTFS and it is one Primary Partition.

In any case let us know what happened to see if we can help you out in any other way.

X_7

Quote Originally Posted by L.W View Post
    When you disconnect the drive from any computer do you first click to and select disconnect forst before you unplug it?

I have a Windows 7 Laptop and my gf had a Tablet with Windows XP Tablet Edition and I had been so used to Windows 7 I did not disconnect from XP before unplugging. It actually ruined the drive. Sent it back and the techs said it was because of not disconnecting first.
    Is this the 'safely remove hardware' icon ( the really tiny one by the clock..? )
    I did not do that...hopefully my drive is ok though? I never 'safely remove hardware...' just something I never think to do...
    I also have xp sp2......if that helps...

'Disk Management' my hard drive does not appear under disk management.
    I had a computer professional set up my hard drive, he initialized it, and it is NTFS too...
    It worked on a computer with XP pro sp3, but when I took it to a computer with sp2, it did not work...( I have not tryed going back to the computer it worked on to see if it is the drive..)
    Hopefully not. It is very brand new ( one day old at post )
    Last edited by redblade8; 02-15-2011 at 03:42 AM.

OK, so, apparently my drive is working 100% as it should now.
    What I did?
    I went into device manager, and clicked the ' reinstall driver ' button ( this was not working before, it just searched, and then never did anything...)

I then downloaded the 'freecom driver ' for usb to ATA/ATAPI ( device manager was showing that the cord, ata/atapi to usb had a problem by the yellow bachgrounded exclamation mark( I thought it was my hard drive for the longest time, but it was not......) so I searched for a driver for the cord, instead of a driver for hard drive.

5 mins after I download it, and double click it unter the downloads box in firefox , a dialogue box pops up, and says 'new hardware found'.

I then let it search ( 10 mins later ) it asks if I want to install a driver that is not digitally signed for windows xp ( I click continue anyways...)
    it then installs it, AND,as it installs, the one I had in device manager 'reinstalling' pops up FINALLY after 2 hours of searching and doing nothing... and tells me the driver I want to install is not signed for xp, I also click continue anyways, and install it.

-After all that is done, my device is recognized ! Yay !! ^^

--L.W. Can I put a [ Solved ] and a green check mark on the title of my topic?

---The stupid cable came with an installation CD, but it only came with a installation / setup.exe driver for windows 98...it said that windows xp and up did not need the driver installed in order for it to work ...yet it did need to be installed to work on XP... ( at least on this computer with SP2...)
    Too bad 'compatability' mode did not work on the setup.exe, it would of worked then...thus saving me alot of time...
    OR, too bad my machine was not Windows 98 =)
    So much better ^^
    Last edited by redblade8; 02-15-2011 at 04:04 AM.