Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Default Laptop feels hot!

The temperatures are rising a bit here in my city, but these days I find that my laptop surface where one rests the palms feel hot and the fan is always running!

So I installed SpeedFan.

The readings are:

HD0: 55C
    Temp1: 68C
    Core0: 68C
    Core1: 71C.

What does this mean !?

techvip is offline Beginner

Thats lesser with comparison to my laptop.. My laptop is usually 80C .. And if you have i7 core machine , it will heat up too 100C even..

vasudev is offline Moderator

Which processor your laptop runs on?
    Its showing your Hard disk temp. As yours is dualcore processor, its showing tempsof individual cores and Temp1 might be overall temp.
    One can analyse depending on your processor and Ambient temp.
    The temps can also be chekd from BIOS. Most new BIOS have this option.

Thanks Vipul and Vasu.

My laptop is HP Pavilion dv6000 and has a Intel(R) T2060 1.6GHz processor.

StrayCat is offline Senior Member

If we're talking Celsius anything below 55 is a good HD temperature.
    Blowing out the dust on cooling fan ( s) and the heat vents with compressed air bottles often has very good results.
    But you'll need to turn your notebook upsidedown and open it to access them.
    Some even experiment with undervolting .
    But Cooling pads also drop the temperature about 4C less then the actual readings.

In the worst case the fan that cools the CPU needs to be re fixed because the warmth transmitting paste has degraded [there's a fancy word for that, but I can't remember it right now. ]

55C = 131 F

100C... you could fry an egg on that one.LOL.
    Last edited by StrayCat; 20th March 2011 at 17:30.

DustinH is offline Senior Member

Laptop cooling is difficult, as you have such small spaces. But, the CPU's they use are usually more efficient. Those temperatures are fine. Especially if you use it a lot. How low does it go at idle? Is it causing any errors or anything?

If you do get too worried about it, there are aftermarket cooling pads that do a decent job of cooling it down a bit.

But, laptops usually do run pretty warm.

Ok good to know that these temps are not abnormal. The low is around 48-50 C, I guess. But the fan almost always runs. Yes the laptop is 'on' most of the day. But I guess I will check out some cooling pad and maybe buy a new laptop in a month or two. Don't want the 5 year old laptop conking out.

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    Ok good to know that these temps are not abnormal. The low is around 48-50 C, I guess. But the fan almost always runs. Yes the laptop is 'on' most of the day. But I guess I will check out some cooling pad and maybe buy a new laptop in a month or two. Don't want the 5 year old laptop conking out.
    if you want a laptop that doesnt get hot, then take a look at one with a Core i3 / Core i5 / Core i7 CPU.

i have an ASUS X42F with core i3, (2,27 GHz CPU) and it never gets hot, in fact i haver never noticed any "heat".

the new Core i3 / Core i5 / Core i7 is much cooler then previous CPU-models.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

laptop cooling pads are a good idea. I just use a laptop stand because I like the keyborad to be angled towards me but it also searves to keep air circulating all around the laptop. I use the Rolodex laptop stand.

Rolodex - products

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post

Yes I do plan on a Core i3 / Core i5 / Core i7 CPU laptop next.

And thanks for the link roraniel.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last