ken_battye is offline New Member

Default External Drive being seen as a name not a drive

I have an Archos 705 Wifi External DVD Drive which I have routinely synced with my computer with Goodsync
    Windows 7 is now showing the drive as a 'name' in 'my computer' and although I can access the drive by double clicking the 'name' and carry out direct copying and deleting of files, ny sync software and a couple of other sync software programs refuse to see the Archos as a drive?
    Also tried to rename the 'drive' but as soon as I enter anything it returns to the name of the Archios unit.
    Can anyone tell me how I can get Windows 7 to see the Archos as an actual drive so that programs can work with the drive?

Thanks Ken

Soul is offline Beginner

I had a similar problem with an old drive of mine when I installed Windows 7 for the first time but enabled it with the second part of this post which I found on another forum:-

Just mount it again. Go into Disk Management: Right click My Computer > Manage > "Disk Management" along the right pane, or just type diskmgmt.msc in the Run prompt.

Find your drive that you need to mount (I'll assume you can identify which one due to the size and conspicuousness). Then right-click it and select "Change drive letter and paths..." and give it a letter to be accessed through.

Or, you can do it in the command line if you really want to.
    Open up the command line by typing "cmd" in the Run prompt.
    Input mountvol /? and it will list information required for the correct syntax.
    Look under "Possible values for VolumeName along with current mount point" and you should see your unmounted volume labeled "no mount point"
    Now input mountvol X: (volumename), where X is the drive letter you wish to assign your drive, and volumename is the name of the volume labeled "no mount point" (be sure to include the name enclosed in "\\?\Volume{.....}\" ).

The graphical method via disk management is much easier and user friendly.
    Credits to the original poster.