Thread: New HD

nichos is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default New HD

My 160GB sata HD is getting full & have to regularly uninstall programs.

I am thinking of getting this:- SEAGATE Barracuda Green ST31500541AS Internal 3.5" SATA Hard Drive - 1.5TB 45

a) is this a reliable one & with these large modern ones will I be able to get 5 partitions using my trusted free Paragon Partition Manager 8.5.

b) what would be the easiest way to transfer the contents of the present HD to the new so that i will not have to reinstall all anew?.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

You apparently have a desktop. Why don't you install the Barracuda in addition to your current drive. Then you can offload data and need not move the OS.

But if you want to move the OS, you do that with an image. If you need to know the details, let me know.

And yes, you ccan make 5 partitions. But I would use Disk Management for that. The maximum in NTFS is 3 primary partitions plus an extended partition under which you can define many more partitions (until you run out of drive letters - plus some).

japp is offline Gold Member

Newer version of Partition Manager 11 Free Edition.

move windows 7 to new hard drive - Microsoft Answers

ELiTE is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Why don't you install the Barracuda in addition to your current drive. Then you can offload data and need not move the OS.
    Excellent, excellent advice. Also, Windows runs faster on a smaller disk drive anyway and a "Green Drive" will only impede overall system performance if used as the primary system drive......