nichos is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default NTDLR is missing error

For some reason on boot up I get "NTDLR is missing' error.

I found info on the net to copy NTDLR from the XP CD but needs the CD Drive Letter & I cannot find it.

Is there a way to get this done & boot the PC?

J_B_MVP is offline Microsoft MVP

In the pre-windows environment the CD drive letter is usually D. When you are at the C: prompt type 'cd D' (without the quotes) and press return to see if this gets you to your CD-ROM

Details of how to correct the problem are available on my website: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how...tldr_or_nt.htm
    Last edited by J_B_MVP; 2nd October 2011 at 12:20.

nichos is offline Windows Enthusiast

The link is dead.

CD C:\ from C:\Windows gives C:\ but CD d:\ gives nothing.

& for info, on my good PC, the win Explorer shows CD drive as "J" but, in command mode CD J:\ gives also nothing.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Also see if "NTLDR is missing" - KB314057 guides you in any way.

Capt.Jack is offline Moderator

Hi there!

I'm assumimg you have Windows 7, so copying from XP CD won't really help. Sometime running Startup Repair 3 times used to help because NDLTR used to be XP related Windows 7 uses Bootloader. Follow this guide Resolving Common Boot issues on Windows 7 | Captain Debugger and see if helps. Also try to rebuild your MBR How to Restore MBR on Windows 7 [Video Tutorial] | Captain Debugger

hackerman1 is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by nichos View Post
    The link is dead.

CD C:\ from C:\Windows gives C:\ but CD d:\ gives nothing.

& for info, on my good PC, the win Explorer shows CD drive as "J" but, in command mode CD J:\ gives also nothing.
    with command.com you can NOT give the command "D:\", its a 2-step command sequence.

the correct command is: "D:",
    then you can choose a folder / subdirectory with the command: "CD" fx. "CD\", "CD ABC" etc.

in 4DOS & TCC however you CAN enter a complex path and change drive with ONE single command...

pctech33 is offline New Member

Hi,

1. Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
    2. When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
    3. Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
    4. Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.
    5. You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
    6. Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter, which in this case is "e." This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
    copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\
    7. Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

hoangminh is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by pctech33 View Post
    Hi,

1. Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
    2. When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
    3. Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
    4. Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.
    5. You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
    6. Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter, which in this case is "e." This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
    copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\
    7. Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.
    Exactly ^^

kevinmalmo is offline New Member

I've dealt with this error couple times already, recovery console always helps me. May I also add that while I am in recovery console I run CHKDSK /R to fix my HDD in case its creating bad sector.

StrayCat is offline Senior Member

Cool

Assuming nichos created a dual boot XP/7 and for future reference,in this particular case the ntldr error is quite common.
    The only way out is to install EasyBCD in 7 (and point the program to your XP) because in that case I'm afraid those fixes mentioned for XP won't help you.
    It takes a bit of getting used to but all in all EasyBCD is a life saver.
    Last edited by StrayCat; 7th January 2012 at 23:56.