Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DustinH

Thread: LiteOn iHAS224 24x DVD±RW DL RAM & Lightscribe SATA Optical Drive - READ PROBLEM?

kwil is offline New Member

Default LiteOn iHAS224 24x DVD±RW DL RAM & Lightscribe SATA Optical Drive - READ PROBLEM?

Hi..
    I'm running Win7 Home Premium (64-bit) with Intel i7 chip, 8Mb RAM, onboard graphics.
    My Liteon DVD-writer is only a few months old and performs all its functions without fuss - except one.
    When I load a DVD-RW or DVD-R containing only 'jpg' images, it takes an age to read them. It won't allow access till that reading is done, regardless of whether I've chosen 'List' or 'Small/Medium/Large Icons' as my view preference.
    I appreciate there's 4.7Gb of stuff and eventually it does read, but I've never had a rewriter that appears so sluggish in this regard. Its specs say it reads at 16 speed.
    If I insert a DVD of MP3 files, by contrast, it handles these in a flash and many of these MP3 files are much larger than 'jpg' files!
    Re-writers in my previous less well-spec'd machines have never exhibited this 'problem' for me.
    I'm fairly new to Win7 and I wonder if it's linked to Win7 in some way?
    Anyone having the same thing happen with their Liteon or have some advice?
    Many thanks

DustinH is offline Senior Member

If you open Task Manager and monitor the CPU usage, does it spike and stay that while while trying to access the files?

A quick Google search shows a few different ideas, but it seems fairly hit and miss as to a solution. One person had success by disabling WinRAR's shell integration, another found a virus on their system. It may just be you have to try a few different things before finding what is causing your problem.
    LeeW likes this.

ELiTE is offline New Member

3 possible solutions for you:
    1-many folks burn disks at top speed. BIG Mistake. Burn data intensive disks at 4x-6x only. Makes it waaaay easier for your rig to read them.
    2- faulty memory. memory errors will cause read/write issues.
    3- win7 is the cream of the crop and I seriously doubt it's the optical drive in your particular case (possible BUT.....). Cheap noname DVDs maybe.

IMHO it's one of the above........