nfb1204 is offline New Member

Default Weird Battery Issue. Stopped reading replacement... Sort of

I have a weird battery issue. I thought it was just me, or a bad battery, but then it happened to my daughter computer so let me explain.

The battery started asking for a replacement. It wouldn't hold a charge long so I knew it was correct. Bought replacements for both laptops. I ended up having to reformat my laptop first. All of a sudden, after a couple of weeks, windows decided it would stop reading the new battery. It can tell when its plugged in, its charging it, but if I unplug laptop instantly shuts off. Called Dell and they didn't want to hear it because I didn't buy a battery from them. The place I bought it tested it by switching the battery into other laptops and it works fine. I even tested it through that method to so its not the battery.

Just when I thought I was nuts, I had to reformat my daughter laptop and BAM. Happened to her laptop too. Same testing, same issues. Now when I look at the battery settings, it reads with the original laptop battery settings and serial no matter what battery I put in, nothing changes. Reads the new battery health at 100%. The Dell battery test that comes with its support center both say 100% battery health, but if I unplug either of them, it automatically shuts off. Tried reformatting again, tried updating BIOS, still won't take the new batteries. Tried the deleting the Microsoft ACPI trick, doesn't do anything. It says "plugged in charging" Then it will stop the up and down meter. It still looks like its charging on the battery because I see the power lights on the battery increasing over time just very slowly.

Any ideas on this? Could a registry setting be corrupt? I'm out of ideas!

Laptop Staps:
    Dell 1747
    Windows 7 SP1 64x
    i7 Quad 1.7 Turbo boosts to 2.6
    8mb of Ram

Other Laptop Stats
    Dell 1545
    Windows 7 SP1 32x
    Dual Pentium 2ghz
    4mb Ram

Also, I googled this and ALOT of people are having the same issue, but no real fix.

Matrix is offline Senior Member

Do you think running this Fix It will help you Extend laptop battery life; fix power consumption problems with Microsoft ATS ???

just tried it. It didn't fix it. Its saying plugged in charging but stuck at 45%.