roraniel is offline Gold Member

Default Why did my hard drive die?

The hard drive in my laptop has passed away. It was a slow death. It started about 6 months ago when I thought I heard it clicking but was not sure. Slowly my laptop started getting sluggish and freezing if I tried to over task it. programs like ccleaner's junk file cleaner and perfect disk became very slow. It started having strange problems like I would open a program and nothing happened but task manager said the program was running.

I did a fresh install of everything but it did not help so yesterday I replaced the drive, did another fresh install of everything and all is well again.

Today I Googled "Why did my hard drive die? and found this informative blog post. Enjoy!

Why Did My Hard Drive Die?
    Posted 2011-08-17 15:31 in Tech-Support by Glenn Brensinger

The old adage says there are only two certainties in life: death and taxes. I’d like to add a third: hard drives die. It might be today, tomorrow, next week, next year. It might be 5 years from now. At some point, it will die. The eternal question is, why? Hard disks are prone to two types of failures: physical and logical.

A standard hard drive is made up of three components: the platter, the head and the controller. The platter is a metallic disk coated with a magnetic surface where data is stored; each platter has two sides and most drives have more than one platter. The heads are similar to the needle on a record player—they float over the platters and read or write data as needed. The controller is just that—it controls the read/write heads and translates commands from the operating system to the drive itself. When you click the Finder icon, it sends a command to the controller saying “give me a list of folders.” It sends the necessary commands to the heads to gather this information, then sends it back to Finder.

Remainder of post.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Ha. I forgot I even wrote that.

jaysonkurt is offline Beginner

Nice reading/reference...
    It is sad that a hard drive has to die/someday.