Rockrz is offline New Member

Default Only 100 megahertz? How to increase Bus Clock Speed

I just got a new PC running Win 7 64 bit and the mobo is ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8Z77-V LK Rev X.0x... but the Bus Clock is only 100 megahertz
    It's got the 3.30 gigahertz Intel Core i5-2500K processor and 16gigs of DDR3 RAM, eventually to be upgraded to 32 gigs of RAM.

I've noticed my second computer (runs XP on purpose) that I just had rebuilt at a local computer shop (new mobo, quad 4 3.2 AMD processor) has a Bus Clock of 200 megahertz

My question is this... on my first computer, is there any way to increase the Bus Clock Speed to 200 megahertz?

Also, is there any advantage to enable hyper-threading?
    I noticed both PCs have this disabled by default.

I use both for business purposes where I get busy running numerous applications at the same time.

Last edited by Rockrz; 19th October 2012 at 19:36.

Digerati is offline Windows Enthusiast

but the Bus Clock is only 100 megahertz
    It's got the 3.30 gigahertz Intel Core i5-2500K processor
    Where are you seeing this 100MHz? And what speed does the system say the CPU is running at? If the CPU is running at 3.3GHz, then the bus must be running full speed.

ELiTE is offline New Member

don't mess around with the Base Clock (BCLK) settings until you have a thorough understanding of current processor/mobo technology.

if you try to increase the Intel BCLK to 200mhz you will find your rig going up in smoke.........105mhz is the max safely but not until you're sure you know what you're doing.

Intel and AMD are 2 very different setups.
    Last edited by ELiTE; 22nd October 2012 at 16:43.

ELiTE is offline New Member

sorry, didn't notice the 2nd part of your post. there's a huge advantage to enabling hyper-threading. this will give you 4 additional virtual cores running at the same speed as your actual cores. your processor quad core count will appear as 8 cores in windows task manager. Windows will treat the virtual cores as real cores when distributing the workload...............
    Last edited by ELiTE; 23rd October 2012 at 01:54.