irongill is offline New Member

Default Cannot Restart My Windows 8.1 PC

My OS is Windows 8.1 ( updated from purchased Windows 8 DVD ).

I keep seeing 'Your PC Ran Into A problem. Collecting Data. Your PC will restart in a few minutes'

It just keeps restarting to this message.When my pc finally boots all i see is a screen full of zeros. I can load my Windows 8 dvd but i cannot see anything on screen ...i keep pressing F8 ..nothing happens. Someone did mention i could have a corrupted Master Boot Record preventing OS from loading.nI tried taking my drive out and connect to another pc but it only shows up in device manager and shows up as F drive in file explorer but when i click it Please insert disc message pops up. I want to copy some important files from old drive.

How can get my pc working.Help

jaylach is offline Windows Enthusiast

I HOPE that you created a recovery CD/DVD. If so you could try booting to that and trying the 'Startup Repair' options. Shoot, I'm not even sure but think that Win 8/8.1 maintains the startup repair on the recovery disk. If you did not create a recovery CD/DVD you could try doing the same through your purchases Win 8 DVD but I don't know if it would help or hurt with the upgrade to 8.1

By any chance do you happen to have an image backup? EVERY system that holds important info should have a system image saved to an external drive. If you happen to have such you could restore such an image but any data added after the image was made would be lost.

Another option would be to get a 'Live CD/DVD' of Linux and try to read the drive through that as a slave. If it reads you could save your data and then re-install.

I would suggest to check your memory (RAM) but you tried the drive in another system. and it failed. Still, that brings up a question. Is this drive encrypted?

I assume that the drive is SATA (narrow data cable) rather than PATA (IDE-wide ribbon cable) but there are still PATA drives around. If the drive is PATA with the ribbon cable you would need to set a jumper in the back or the drive to slave rather than master to be able to read on the other system that failed. This would only apply if the second system had other PATA drives.

I wish you luck but MUST lecture for a moment. Would this be a big deal if you had everything backed up? The best cure for ANY computer issue is a proper backup system. You can catch deals for a 2TB external drive for well under $100.00 USD. Make system images to the external and so what if a drive explodes. You throw in a new drive and restore the image, back to exactly where you were when the image was made.

Beyond that never just keep one copy of anything important. The external that would hold the system images can also be used to store backups of recently made documents or other data.

Let us know what recovery media you have, if any, and we will do what we can.

Arun Kumar is offline MVP Alumni

Have you tried booting from the DVD and then clicking on the HDD to view the contents? Or does it not show the HDD among the Computer devices?

Thank you for reply.I cannot see anything on the screen when i put Windows Dvd in.When i checked the mesaage on screen,i noticed details:-
    DRIVER-IRQL-NOT-LESS-OR-EQUAL (nvlddmkm.sys).Which is i think related to Nvidia Graphic Driver problem.Some say press F8 with Windows 8 dvd in which will give Start Up Repairs options.I keep pressing F8 for ages but nothing happens on screen

I almost want to say that your video card could be failing but can't as the drive gives issues when connected to another machine...

It is quite possible that your drive could be failing. There is some free software out there that will do data recovery (to an extent) on a damaged drive but I will leave such software recommendations to others that have been members of this site longer than I and also those that have more experience with such software.

As an aside I must mention that to get the best help you have to answer questions from those trying to help. We still don't know whether your drives are PATA or SATA or what recovery media you have.

My Drive has IDE cable connection with 4 Pin Molex power supply connection on the right hand side of IDE cable and jumper plug connection on the left hand side of IDE cable.Thank you for your help as i might aswell bin the drive as i am getting nowhere or i might find a resonable priced Data Recovery company.... and i still cannot figure out why i cannot get into safe mode by pressing F8 even with the Windows 8 DVD in

The Win 8 DVD has nothing to do with getting to Safe Mode. Safe Mode boots off the hard drive just like the normal mode.

OK, now that we know that the drive is PATA (IDE) there is another possibility as to why you cannot access on another machine. Unless you change the position of the jumper on the left to conform to the configuration of the system being attached there would be a conflict. The jumper is most probably set to either master or cable select. If you are connecting to an existing two plug cable in the other machine that holds another drive that drive is also probably set to master or cable select. If both are cable select it should work but I have found it to be a bit flakey. If the system that you are attempting to connect the drive has an empty IDE port I would pull not only the drive but also the cable from the original machine and connect to the empty port. The reason that I would want you to use the original cable is that a PATA ribbon cable could be either 40 or 80 lines. Granted that the drive would have to be pretty old to use a 40 line cable but it is best to cover as many bases as possible.