Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jaylach

Thread: Do I have enough RAM !?

wnclee is offline New Member

Default Do I have enough RAM !?

Hello to all. I need help please, soon. I'm going to purchase an HP ENVY 17t and need advice on a RAM issue... Let me give u my intended Specs: Intel Core i7 4710HQ, Intel 4600 HD Graphics, 1TB 5400 rpm Hybrid Drive... The laptop comes w/ 12GB RAM. I can upgrade the RAM to 16GB, but w/ the hybrid drive & great Intel Core i7 processor, I don't think it's worth the extra $50.00. I'm using this extra money to get the: back-lit keyboard, Hybrid Drive & the 48Whr vs. 41Whr battery. I just surf the net, eBay some, a little music (Beats Audio) and a couple of other apps that don't require a lot of RAM. 12GB to 16GB just doesn't make sense to me considering my more personally important upgrades. I think the 16GB will be wasted RAM... I've heard the Hybrid drives a fairly zippy in my research & HP told me the Hybrid drive has 8GB dedicated to it...

Thanks so much for your feed back, LeRoy

jaylach is offline Windows Enthusiast

There is no need or reason for you to increase the RAM.
    NicolaPugh likes this.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

12 GB should do just fine!

vasudev is offline Moderator

That's a nice configuration.I'm assuming you'll be running Windows 8.1... I think for the use you have specified, 12 GB is more than enough.

NicolaPugh is offline New Member

the current RAM is large enough for all alomst all operations you may do. there is no need to make it larger.
    My laptop is only 6GB

nelsa is offline New Member

Well when it cames to RAM it actualy depend from your needs but 12GB is decent amount even for servers,it mostly depend what and how many apps you run on it ,we all know OS requirements but every new apps and proces need more RAM and CPU.So in theory while 4 or 6GB for you is just fine for someone else is not enough or vice versa,you can always track sistem RAM/CPU consuption but 12 GB shoud be fine for everyone needs.