ravi8686 is offline New Member

Default Need quick shutdown file for Windows

hi there i am looking for a quick computer turn off exe file, before i had it, i forget the name, if u double click on the file it will make your computer turn off instant, double click and there is no power in cpu. pleas don't suggest me batch file like shutdown.exe -r or -s or etc.
    any help will be great
    thanks and regards ravi8686

jaylach is offline Windows Enthusiast

I would like to hear further details. The entire situation that you suggest sounds potentially damaging to the system. You normally cannot just shut down Windows without allowing it to go through its processes without doing potential catastrophic damage.

HappyAndyK is online now Site Administrator

jaylach is offline Windows Enthusiast

@ HappyAndyK... As I've never used such a utility I'm rather curious. In your opinion could such a utility be a potential danger? The reason that I ask is that there is a bit of a disclaimer in the description stating that it is possible that disk corruption could happen. I would guess that this scenario would involve the fact that it ignores open programs and just shuts down without closing open programs first. My concern would be that it would be possible that such an open program could be writing to the drive when the shut down happens.

As an example let's say that there is a defrag going on in the background and it is not stopped at shutdown... Like I said, just curious as I've never used anything like this utility. Call me paranoid.

hackerman1 is offline Moderator

A fast shutdown like described above would (of course) be a really big problem on any modern O/S with many programs / processes running.
    This was probably the most common cause for chaos in the filesystem many years ago when MS-DOS 6 & Win 3.11 was common.
    If you had writecache enabled and you didnīt flush the cache before you turned off the computer,
    you would almost certainly get a corrupt filesystem.
    The default setting for the built-in diskcache (named smartdrive) was (of course) writecache enabled.....
    Very "smart" by Microsoft...

Which then of course meant that ordinary users who didnīt know anything about this would get big problems when they turned off their computer quickly.
    Disabling writecache meant losing a little bit of performance, but your filesystem was a lot safer.
    Having writecache enabled, also with 3rd party diskcaches, was a bit of "russian roulette" even if you were careful and always let all diskoperations finish before you turned off the computer.
    I know that from personal experience...
    A modern filesystem like NTFS is a lot safer than FAT16, but as Jaylach said above: turning off the computer while fx. defrag is running, that would not be a good idea....

There is some good information in Device Manager:

Control Panel Device Manager
    doubleclick on "Disk drives"
    doubleclick on your "Harddisk"
    select "Policies"

Look what it says:

Write-caching policy

"Enable write caching on the device
    Improves system performance by enabling write caching on the
    device, but a power outage or equipment failure might result in data
    loss or corruption.

Turn off Windows writecache buffer flushing on the device
    To prevent data loss, do not select this check box unless the
    device has a separate power supply that allows the device to
    flush its buffer in case of power failure.
    "

Turning off the computer without a proper shutdown would be the same as removing the powercable while the computer is on, a "power failure".

If for some reason you are in a hurry and need to turn off your computer quickly, there is a smarter and safer solution:
    On W7 select "Sleep" (Startbutton right).
    You can also assign "Sleep" to the power-button in the menu which makes it really simple and fast to turn the computer off.
    Last edited by hackerman1; 22nd November 2014 at 07:15.

HappyAndyK is online now Site Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by jaylach View Post
    @ HappyAndyK... As I've never used such a utility I'm rather curious. In your opinion could such a utility be a potential danger?
    I completely agree with you. In fact in that post itself I had mentioned - "I'd probably avoid such fast shutdowns". There could be a high possibility of data or disk corruption, esp if you use it frequently. The computer may just refuse to boot the next time.

chrisbuck9 is offline Beginner

Create a shortcut:
    Target = C:\windows\system32\ shutdown -s -t5 c"Closing down"
    Startin= C:\windows system32

run regedit:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l

WaitToKillServiceTimeout : modify key '1000'

Pc should shutdown considerably faster..

nikhil0082 is offline Beginner

Well I strongly agree with what all everybody said above.
    However, a little safer way to do this would be by writing a batch file yourself, which will trigger the shutdown by using the Default Windows Shutdown Program.

To do this, you will have to write a Batch File in Notepad.

1) Open Notepad

2) Type in the following line:
    c:\windows\system32\shutdown -s -f -t 00
    Here,
    -s will be for Normal Shutdown,
    -f for Forced Shutdown(This will force close all the apps)
    -t 00 will be Shutdown after a time Interval, where 00 stands for time.

Choose one of the three, for whats suitable for you.
    I recommend you to avoid using -f, since it is a forced shutdown, and as mentioned above, it is as good as removing the Power Cable.

3) Save this file as Shutdown.bat

Don't forget to add the .bat extension. This file won't run with a .txt extension.

4) After saving, just double click on the file to shutdown your Computer.

5) Done.

PS: You can also store this file in your C or D Drive, and then redirect a shortcut to the desktop. You can change the icon to the Power Off Icon, just for some visual effects

Also, Antivirus programs may Quarantine or Delete your Batch Files, so just keep a track on that.

Cheers

chrisbuck9 is offline Beginner

regedit:
    Hkey_local_machine\system\controlset001\control
    WaitToKillServiceTimeout modify 12000 to 2000