nichos is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default TOSHIBA vb63700-A 500GB external HD - only connects on one of several USB ports

Hi,

since I bought this last year & used it twice it only connects on one of several USB ports on my PC.

Is this normal?

I am afraid that if it does not work in this port as well it will be useless foe storing my backups. ...thanx ...nick

Home build, Asus P5K Premium WiFiiFi Intel,
    Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 95W 2.4GHz, OCZ Vendetta Cpu Cooler,
    2x2GB, 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 800 (400mhz) PC2-6400,
    EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX KO 512MB GDDR3 (PCI-E),
    Seagate Barraguda sata 500gb, TOSHIBA vb63700-A 500GB external HD, Corsair TX750M Psu, X45, XPhome/Win8

jaylach is offline Windows Enthusiast

I don't know that I'd call it normal but have seen it happen. Can't say that I like it and can't give a guaranteed answer.

Is it possible that the external is USB 3 and NOT backward compatible with USB 2? One indication of this would be if the only port it works with is USB 3. If USB 3 it should be blue. If this is not the case go on to the tedious task below...

Something that you could try is to go to Device Manager and right click and uninstall everything under 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers'. Keep track of where you are as sooner or later you will hit and kill your mouse. Once you hit your mouse use alt-ctrl-del to get to task manager and restart. Continue from after the mouse as to uninstalling USB via Device Manager. Restart the system and allow Windows to re-install all the USB, it will be automatic. Try your external in different ports.

nichos is offline Windows Enthusiast

Thanx,

You must have hit the nail on the head.

The external HD cable is Blue USB but, the Asus mobo manual says

USB: 10xUSB 2.0 ports (6 in mid board, 4 at back panel).

I wonder why does it work on one if all 2.0 USB ports? .....beats me

Am stuck if the one fails.

How do I get another USB 3.0 port? .......nick
    Last edited by nichos; 12th December 2014 at 17:53.

jaylach is offline Windows Enthusiast

If it works on one USB port it SHOULD work on any but that is not always the case. As it is with computers sometimes they have a bit of quirkiness. On the other hand, to be honest, I have some doubts that it has anything to do with your system. I think but cannot prove that it is quite likely that the actual cause is how the drive reports itself to the system as a device. Did you install any drivers for the external? If the thing came with an install disk and it was applied it would make me feel even stronger in that it is how the drive reports.

You could try what I suggested with uninstalling everything USB via Device Manager and allowing Windows to re-install but there is no guarantee that would resolve the issue. Of course the easiest thing to do is to just plug it into the port that works and go with it.

One thought... Are you trying the back panel ports that are integrated on the motherboard of the front ports? Not much you can do with the back ports but if the front it is not impossible that the cables to the motherboard headers are not connected properly or are not fully seated.

Can't say 100% if or if not you would be stuck if the working port failed but probably not. You would then do the USB uninstall bit which SHOULD reset the USB. Plug in to another port and you would probably be OK but it is possible that the drive would then only work on that port.

Yes you could add USB 3 ports and the drive would operate faster. You can find PCIe 1 cards that will add 2-4 USB 3 ports to the back of the box. Doing a quick search on Tiger Direct I found prices from $15.00 USD to $30.00 USD.