Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    s_acharya is offline Beginner

Lightbulb Unable to open a USB pen drive on Windows PC

Hi all, I am unable to access a particular pen drive. It was working alright till few days back. But now, file explorer does not show the pen drive when I insert it into any of the slots.
    All other pen drives are working fine. It has important data I cannot afford to miss. So, can anybody sort it? It will be a big help........thanks!

Kapil Arya is offline Microsoft MVP

Hello,

Please refer to following fix and see if that helps you:

USB Devices not working in Windows 8.1

Hope this helps, Good luck

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. I did the work on regedit but still the problem persists. I checked Control Panel-> Hardware and Sound->Devices and Printers and I could see Mass Storage Device icon. After right clicking and doing troubleshoot it said device is working properly. But when I clicked on Browse Files, nothing is happening. Also, when I opened File Explorer, I cannot see the Flash drive. In Devices and Printers, if I click on Remove Device, the MSD icon goes. I wish to add that when I plugged another Flash drive, I could see it in File Explorer as well as in Device and Printers and a Auto Play option is shown for this 2nd Flash drive in Device and Printers. The 2nd Flash drive is working alright. Does that make any sense to anyone? Help
    BTW - I am using win8
    Last edited by s_acharya; 17th June 2015 at 12:26.

Okay, try this alternative:

USB Device Not Recognized in Windows 8 / 7

Also suggest you to check the USB by plugging it to another computer. If it doesn't works on other computer as well, it's most probably having bad sectors. Try chkdsk /r command and see if that do a trick. Even if the issue persists, that means the USB is malfunctioned.

Good luck again

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Maybe the problem is with that pen drive then ....

quiropraxi is offline New Member

Interrupted diver install can cause this too, I will try to remember the tool to remove failed installs to do it again...

sorry for the late reply. I was offline past few days. I tried chkdsk x: /r but it says "cannot open volume for direct access"!
    Then I open properties of the said drive and it says "used space 0 bytes, free space 0 bytes, capacity 0 bytes."
    Windows does not read name of the flash drive.
    Does this mean it is destroyed. Sure, there must be a way to recover data!!

Seems like it has been vanished. Consult third-party data recovery services to recover the data, if it's of paramount importance for you.

Regards.

Thanks anyway. it seems like the file system is not readable. cannot accept that a electronic device can go like that

Unhappy

Thank you Chinmay for reliving this post.
    I guess my PC has USB driver installed by default along with other drivers. FYI, it uses win8. I was auto checking drivers and it says "drivers are working properly".
    So, dont know what is wrong!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last