Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Download Avast Free antivirus for Windows 7

MrMBerman is offline Senior Member

Default Download Avast Free antivirus for Windows 7

The very popular free home edition of Avast AntiVirus has been released to the public today sporting a brand new look and design.

Apart from the welcome new look (the old version was a bit retro) there are a number of tweaks and improvements under the hood.

Download here: avast! Free Antivirus - Download Software for Virus Protection

NB. Image shows earlier beta release

UPDATE: The latest version is Avast 6.

ORKAN is offline Beginner

Avast v5 free & internet security versions & available in English /French versions at this moments. (multi-languages available soon)
    avast! - Download Free Antivirus Software or Internet Security

ORKAN is offline Beginner

You may change languages setting after installed Avast v5.
    Open Avast Security Center > click top right corner "Setting" > Install Additional Languages .
    (you'll have cestina, espanol,francaise,deutsch, italiano,japanese,polski,portugues,pyccknn &S.Ch.)

Matrix is offline Senior Member

Avast Free v 7.0 has been released. Many new features AVAST Software: The new avast! 7 Free Antivirus is here Download it from here avast! Free Antivirus | Download Antivirus Protection Software

DustinH is offline Senior Member

Does it still have the nag popups? Great AV software, but I couldn't stand the barrage of "buy the better version now!" popups on the taskbar. So, I went to MSE. I use to always go with AVG until MSE took the crown. I still know a lot of people that use and love Avast, though.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Angry

Beware of the pre-checked options after install and reboot of the latest update: Installers Hall of Shame (Unwanted add-on) - Calendar Of Updates

Matrix is offline Senior Member

Uh oh, too bad it bundles and installs Chrome browser too.

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

I installed Avast v6 a few days ago, Google Chrome was installed even after i had UNCHECKED all those settings !?
    First time i thought that i had just made a stupid mistake because i was tired, and missed to uncheck.
    But when it also happened a second time when i was VERY sure to uncheck properly, then i realized that i hadnīt made any mistake the first time.

Google Chrome got installed with "brute force" !?
    This of course makes it hard to trust Avast...
    I solved the problem by installing an older build of v6.

I havenīt tried Avast v7 yet, but it might be the same problem with the newest version...
    Be careful !

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Yes, from what I'm reading, it is a problem with Version 7 as well. In fact, some people are reporting that the window shown after reboot does not stay on the screen long enough to uncheck the pre-checked options.

If you use Avast, pay attention after the reboot. On the screen presented, first uncheck "Make Google Chrome my default browser" followed by unchecking "No, do not install the Google Chrome web browser." It has been reported that Google Chrome will be forced installed if the steps are not followed in that order.

Also note, even if you already have the Google Chrome browser installed, it has been reported that Avast will not recognize this and will not only install Chrome in Program Files but also mess up the existing Chrome profile settings, bookmarks, etc.

DustinH is offline Senior Member

So, it was a problem with version 6 AND with version 7?! I can see it be a known problem and get fixed, but to let it be and stay a problem? The thing that gets me is that they get PAID for every time Chrome is installed. So, it's not a problem for them. They are getting paid to not fix a "bug" in their software. Not a good business practice from a security company.
    Corrine and HappyAndyK like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast