HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Exclamation Foxit Reader v 4 installs default settings even after unchecking options!

The newly released Foxit v 4.0 setup process has grown more cumbersome, without a doubt. It automatically will check you into the Foxit license agreement, and users are also opted-in to the Foxit Search Bar which changes your default search provider to Ask and makes Ask.com your home page.

On their own, these would be annoying enough, but users are also opted-in to the Foxit add-on for Firefox, and into creating desktop, quick launch, and Start menu icons that link to eBay. Obviously, that's a business model plan for Foxit, but the connection between Foxit and eBay is even more tenuous than Foxit and Ask.com.

Worst of all, in our tests it commandeered the default PDF reader setting even though we unchecked that box.

Forcing users to opt-out instead of opt-in combined with a surprisingly large number of pre-selected options, and it's hard not to conclude that the cumbersome installation unfairly burdens the program's otherwise reasonable features.

More at Foxit Reader stumbles into version 4 | The Download Blog - Download.com

Corrine is offline Gold Member

With Adobe having so many problems with vulnerabilities, people have been looking for alternatives. Fox it has been a favorite of many but since they get paid per Ask toolbar install have apparently taken steps to ensure that income from IAC.

For now, I'll continue to stick with Sumatra PDF, even with the bright yellow background! Other alternate, open source, PDF readers are available from PDFreaders.org - Get a Free Software PDF reader!.

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

hi!

Quote Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
    With Adobe having so many problems with vulnerabilities, people have been looking for alternatives. Fox it has been a favorite of many but since they get paid per Ask toolbar install have apparently taken steps to ensure that income from IAC.

For now, I'll continue to stick with Sumatra PDF, even with the bright yellow background! Other alternate, open source, PDF readers are available from PDFreaders.org - Get a Free Software PDF reader!.

WOW !

itīs very clear to us all, that we should not install Foxit....

what yellow background in Sumatra ?
    i donīt see any...

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

hi !

do you remember the thread about Foxit 3.3 ?
    Foxit 3.3 comes with security problems !

in that thread it was mentioned that they said they were: "a Microsoft Certified Partner".
    after doing some investigation, and with some help from Corrine, i found out that it was a false claim.

they were NOT a "Microsoft Certified Partner" !

WOW !

but, it gets even better....

i just checked their page: Foxit Software

"About Foxit Corporation

Foxit Corporation, a Microsoft Certified Partner, is at the forefront of cost-effective electronic document solutions. "

they still claim they are "Certified" !

OMG !

can you believe that ?!

Foxitsoftware is obviously a very respectable company...
    Last edited by hackerman1; 30th June 2010 at 20:09.

StrayCat is offline Senior Member

'Though I agree version 4 has a dubious setup routine once again,I have no Ask toolbar , no hijacked homepage,no anything really and Ask is not added to my search engines...opting out of things... and declining(...).
    But I sure had to do a lot of unticking,using customized setup...
    Last edited by StrayCat; 1st August 2010 at 19:19. Reason: Using customized setup

James is offline Microsoft MVP

@hackerman1: here's the yellow default background, no file loaded:

Last edited by James; 1st August 2010 at 21:59.

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

James: "no file loaded:"

ok, that explains why i havenīt seen that yellow screen,
    i never start Sumatra directly, i always "click" on a PDF-file...

James is offline Microsoft MVP

LOL...I figured that was the reason...I always load a PDF directly from the actual file, too.