Thread: Email spoofing - causes, prevention: Don't fall for such scams

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Exclamation Email spoofing - causes, prevention: Don't fall for such scams

I "received" an email from Lee (L.W) saying the following:

Windows To think I thought you needed a college education to make money like this NBC10 Online Report - Work At home: Local Mom Makes $13,900/Month Part-Time once you learn how to do this teach all your family and friends this really is what you have been looking for this truly is an amazing venture towards stress relief and financial success i don't have to worry about ever having to look for a job again.
    Since it was "from" a fellow TWCF Mod, I clicked on the link without thinking to reach this webpage:

Obviously its a scam and a case of email spoofing.

E-mail spoofing is e-mail activity in which the sender address and other parts of the e-mail header are altered to appear as though the e-mail originated from a different source. Because core SMTP doesn't provide any authentication, it is easy to impersonate and forge emails.
    Probably my IP address was detected and my home towns name appeared, in the first line of the article, making me read the article with interest!

All links on this page including the navbar links go to: ehomecashflowsolution.com/t007/index.php?aid=98&opt=&hid=&

Some may even comment and give away their mail ID.

So take care

To minimize the chances of your email ID being misused, never therefore give out your email ID publicly. If your email ID does get spoofed, you have to look at one of the bounced emails and see if you can identify the IP address in the email's headers, and then contact the ISP and hope they help you. Not much else we can do I suppose ...

This link on email spoofing prevention may also interest you, btw.

bradway is offline New Member

Default I Agree Totally

I have had three friends caught by this scam, and I was so pipped off I had went and had a look myself. There are two sites you could hit, the one Andy mentions above (that my friends went to and gave up their info), and Homecashflowsolution.com, the one I visited, which is more like the cheesey internet sales page we all know and love.

Or not love as the case may be.

I've just done an in depth review over at my site pointing out all the red flags : http://jeffpearsonblog.com/a-real-ti...cam-in-action/

This is a genuine post to the forum, not an inane attempt to drive traffic to a site; you'll find my post is quite detailed, and I'm so annoyed at this type of scam that I'm converting the post to a full blown article to circulate to the directories.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by HappyAndyK; 6th April 2011 at 09:34. Reason: Linked

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Good grief, will it never stop!!!

Can someone explain how email ID spoofing works and the best defense against it?

Default How email spoofing works and prevention

Email spoofing works like this....

If you visit my blog, you will be met by an autoresponder opt in page, offering you a free report. I need your email address for that so I ask for it. You fill it in, you get your report. I might then contact you a few months down the line and offer you something else.

Only I don't do all that, Aweber, the biggest autoresponder company in the world does that for me.

If I break their rules they can break me as an internet content provider.

They can't spam by law, and they don't allow their customers to either. Their rules state that each opt in page must offer the visitor the chance to say 'no thanks', and so all optins have that little x in the top right corner.

Click that and the optin disappears and you get into the site. This sort of thing is so common now, we take it for granted, and 99 ex 100 we click the x unless the offer is too good to resist.

Phishers and spoofers play on that 'so common' thing.

They don't use a reputable autoresponder service, they do it all themselves and provide what looks like an opt in page, but you can't get past it until you give them a valid email. There's no x option. You think it's ok, (you're so used to seeing them aren't you?) and fill in the form.

They now have your email address, and are free to send out spoof emails cloaked in your name and email address to other people, but when someone responds, its routed automatically to their in house info capture service. You then get access to the 'website' which is designed purely to get you to part with your money. My blog review of Home Cash Flow Solution shows you just how they work.

Have a look, and tell your friends, I've tried to be lighthearted inside my review but at the end of the day it's our hard earned money they want to part us from.

The email I investigated was sent by "Cavan Thompson" but when you hovered over that email address, under it was (asterisks by me) julielock*****@live.co.uk.

Somewhere in England, Julie filled in the form, had a look at the site, took action or not, and left. Now, unbeknownst to her, she is emailing thousands of people offering a scam.

So if people complain, it's Julie that gets it.

How to avoid it? Difficult without deciding never to fill in an opt in page again, but a good indication is that little opt out x. No x? Run away.

This type of thing is nearly always associated with 'See how I earned $8000 in a single day, and you can too" type of website. Steer away from them, and you are virtually bombproof.

Hope this helped.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

@bradway:

Great information. Thanks!!!!

Nice blog as well.

Default Glad I Could Help

Thanks for that Randy, greatly appreciated. We're all in this together.

r4f4ello is offline New Member

Default found another site literally identical but with a different redirect

everything looks the exact same as on the site you've described the only difference is the single mom's name and obviously the home town. the only real difference is that it redirects you to a different website
    where can I report those guys?