Stirwpgp is offline Beginner

Default AgAppLaunch.db - Virus or legit file?

Just started using AVAST Free 6.xxx version, and have been getting the following "High Risk Virus".

"C:\Windows\Prefetch\AgAppLaunch.db".

Can anyone tell me if this is a legit Vista x64 file?

Thanks

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

It looks like a database file.

It appears that it is clean:
    VirusTotal - Free Online Virus, Malware and URL Scanner
    AgAppLaunch.db MD5:7e53df24cf69715f995fa3b1eaad0475 - VirSCAN.org Scanners did not find malware!

But yes - I do see on the net that Avast users are reporting this issue.

No harm if you empty all the contents of your C:\Windows\Prefetch\ folder this one time, if you wish to play safe.

DigitalAim is offline New Member

Smile dont worry!!!

Dont worry i have avast too... and when i did a full scan it said that this location C:\Windows\Prefetch\AgAppLaunch.db ---
    had a infected file so i didnt want to delete it so i went to the folder by going to my computer ,Crive, windows, and Prefetch...when i tryed to open the prefetch folder a pop up message appeard saying if i would like to allow permission to open folder....i allowed it then enter the folder i saw the file called AgAppLaunch.db i scan it with the avast and it didnt say the file was harmful so then i went out the folder and scan the Prefetch still avast didnt say it was infected i think when u do the full scan it says it was infected becuse it was block and needed you to allow permission

What is the Prefetch folder: Each time you turn on your computer, Windows keeps track of the way your computer starts and which programs you commonly open. Windows saves this information as a number of small files in the prefetch folder. The next time you turn on your computer, Windows refers to these files to help speed the start process.

The prefetch folder is a subfolder of the Windows system folder. The prefetch folder is self-maintaining, and there's no need to delete it or empty its contents. If you empty the folder, Windows and your programs will take longer to open the next time you turn on your computer.