Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Is Microsoft Security Essentials better than Avast free?

terenkleon is offline New Member

Default Is Microsoft Security Essentials better than Avast free?

should i believe my friend, is he right?
    one of my friends told me that m s e is better because avast free attracts viruses and spyware unless you get the paid version. he also said he had lots of trojans that m s e detected but avast didnt, he said he removed avast free and got m s e and it detected them but avast free could not.

Corrine is offline Moderator

Hi, terenkleon.

Personally, I like MSE for a free solution and, according to the latest "Removal Tests" by AV Comparatives, Avast was at the bottom of the list for removal of malware.
    Tes Results: AV-Comparatives - Removal-Tests (PDF).
    Microsoft MVP | ASAP
    Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Flatlands is offline Beginner

Avast is fine as an Anti Virus program, millions and millions of users can't be that wrong. Trusting Microsoft with my security is crazy, they could have built it in but have failed. Want something that attracts virus' and spyware use IE or Firefox.

Corrine is offline Moderator

Hi, Flatlands.

Microsoft has built security into the operating system. The source of most malware infections is outdated third-party software and social engineering.
    Microsoft MVP | ASAP
    Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

If you say so Corrine, I'm guessing they only seal up holes in Microsoft software because of others old software. I'll stick with what has kept me clean and free of troubles for 10 years. Do people still try Norton and Mcafee???? when will they learn

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

I had a couple of problems with MSE. Caught a keylogger twice but could reset to yesterday's image. Went back to NIS2011.

bearfrods is offline New Member

UM, NOOOO! Avast free is way better than MSE, anything made by microsoft is bad, but if you are a general internet user, MSE will be good, if that is what you want.
    Last edited by LeeW; 12-16-2011 at 05:11 AM.

In the end it is users choice

edee is offline Windows Enthusiast

I agree with Flatlands, yes I am not a real big proponent of MSE. What has it been two, three years since it release and it still has bugs? and now they are working on another MSE Beta? fix the old one first!
    One annoying bug I am speaking of is that when I had MSE installed on four out of five systems in my home, all of them would CONSTANTLY tell me that I was unprotected because my systems had not been scanned ..... this after having done scans not more than an hour previously!

Don't get me wrong, I used MSE for over a year and a half and contrary to most of the posts here it is NOT very good and Microsoft is NOT very fast in updating it's signatures, the final straw for me is when I was doing some research on the web and suddenly I started getting inudndated for me to update what it looked like to me to do a windows update then my system crashed. I had come to find out that I had been infected by the blue flame virus which infects your computers MBR, a virus that got by MSE with no detection or message to me whatsoever, this is the first time anything like this has happened to me with any security solution.

Needless to say the problem was fixed, afterwards the first thing I did was to remove MSE and say good riddance to it, I now use Eset Smart Security 5.

@Lee:
    Up to this point I have used a combination of MSE and Malwarebytes and for the past 2 months I have actually had no use for Malwarebytes as it hasn't found anything in quite sometime.
    To say that is kind of untrue, I used MSE in conjunction with malwarebytes and malwarebytes ALWAYS came up with something ...... even if it was tracking cookies.
    Last edited by edee; 01-20-2012 at 09:11 PM.

hackerman1 is offline Gold Member

why not use both MSE & Avast ?

Avast (starting with v5) was designed to be able to run together with MSE.
    as we know, no antivirus-program can detect everything, its always something like ~ 98-99 % detectionrate max.
    so if one program misses something, then the other might detect it....

personally im using 3 (THREE) antivirusprograms together: Emsisoft AntiMalware (EAM), MSE & Avast, all of them with realtime-protection ON !
    EAM also works well together with other programs, so that combination REALLY works.
    im using mutual exclusions, each of them is instructed to ignore the other two.

i use that combo together with Online Armor (OA) as firewall, OA also has Host Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS).
    OA is available in both a FREE and PAID version, the FREE version offers VERY good protection, the difference is that the PAID version has some extra functions added.
    i also regularly scan with MBAM.

EAM has a VERY high detectionrate so if you arent already using it, then i recommend getting it.
    there is only one difference between the FREE and PAID versions, the FREE version has no realtimeprotection, the virusscanner is the same in both versions.

EAM & OA: Emsisoft Anti-Malware for best protection - Free Malware removal of Viruses, Bots, Spyware, Keyloggers, Trojans and Rootkits

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast