Psych101 is offline New Member

Default How Do I Safetly Remove Win32: Malware-gen Stored in my Avast AntiVirus Chest?

I've been running some extensive virus scans on my laptop during the past couple of days, and I disturbingly found out that there has been at least 5 instances of my computer detecting the infamous Win32: Malware-gen. As such, I am eager to find a way to SAFELY remove those pesky Win32: Malware-gen from my computer, but for safety's sake, I didn't delete the Win32: Malware Gen as soon as my Avast Anti-Virus scan notified me of their existence. Instead, I stored them in Avast's Virus Chest.

Now I would greatly appreciate the wisdom of the more experienced members of this forum. I urgently need to find out how I can remove these viruses from my computer safely. That's because the last thing I want is for these viruses to destroy my computer and more importantly, steal my identity.

As an added bonus for helping me out on this thread, could somebody please give me a link to a comprehensive list of the different ways to safely remove different sorts of viruses from one's computer (such as Trojans, Spyware, Keyloggers, and Win32: Malware-gen)?

Oh by the way, I am not extremely knowledgeable about computers, so could you guys please not use excessively technical explanations for how I should deal with this problem?

Anyways, this is a very interesting forum, as I will continue to lurk and post on it in the future. I hope you guys appreciate my humble presence on this forum.

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

just delete them (remove) from the "chest" ....?
    Last edited by hackerman1; 30th August 2012 at 19:59.

Quote Originally Posted by hackerman1 View Post
    just delete them (remove) from the "chest" ....?
    Yeah, but I've been running a virus scan with my Trend Micro Housecall program almost constantly on my laptop for the past 4-5 days (each of these full-computer viruses scans takes about 4-6 hours to complete). Interestingly, every time I complete the scan, there are two consecutive detections of the Win 32: Malware-gen virus popping-out on my virus scanner. The first one pops out and then about 10 seconds after that, the second one then pops out. It is very strange that my Housecall program detects these two Win32 viruses as consecutive, simultaneous virus alerts at roughly 40-60% completion of the Full-Computer Scan.

Basically, why is my virus scanner detecting these the two Win32 viruses every single time I do a virus scan? Could this be because these two Win32 viruses just keep on reappearing on my computer for no apparent reason no matter how many times my computer detects and deletes them in a Full-Computer Scan? This is very annoying because I don't want the same two Win32 viruses to keep on reappearing over and over again with almost no apparent way of permanently ridding them.

Also about three days ago, I tried to download this torrent for an online book off Pirate Bay. Sadly this resulted in my Avast! Anti-Virus detecting a Trojan...hopefully the Trojan wasn't able to actually jump onto my computer to cause any actual damage.

Anyways as a conclusion, could somebody please provide me with an explanation behind the strange recurrence of the Win32: Malware-gen virus? That would be extremely helpful and appreciated on my behalf. Anyways, I am going to continue lurking this forum for me interesting computer knowledge
    Last edited by Psych101; 31st August 2012 at 18:02.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

I think you should use Disk Cleanup or CCleaner to clean PC junk first. Restart your computer and then schedule a boot-time deep scan of Avast.

If you haven't done this yet, please do so and let us know if it helps.

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psych101 View Post
    Yeah, but I've been running a virus scan with my Trend Micro Housecall program almost constantly on my laptop for the past 4-5 days (each of these full-computer viruses scans takes about 4-6 hours to complete). Interestingly, every time I complete the scan, there are two consecutive detections of the Win 32: Malware-gen virus popping-out on my virus scanner. The first one pops out and then about 10 seconds after that, the second one then pops out. It is very strange that my Housecall program detects these two Win32 viruses as consecutive, simultaneous virus alerts at roughly 40-60% completion of the Full-Computer Scan.

Basically, why is my virus scanner detecting these the two Win32 viruses every single time I do a virus scan? Could this be because these two Win32 viruses just keep on reappearing on my computer for no apparent reason no matter how many times my computer detects and deletes them in a Full-Computer Scan? This is very annoying because I don't want the same two Win32 viruses to keep on reappearing over and over again with almost no apparent way of permanently ridding them.

Also about three days ago, I tried to download this torrent for an online book off Pirate Bay. Sadly this resulted in my Avast! Anti-Virus detecting a Trojan...hopefully the Trojan wasn't able to actually jump onto my computer to cause any actual damage.

Anyways as a conclusion, could somebody please provide me with an explanation behind the strange recurrence of the Win32: Malware-gen virus? That would be extremely helpful and appreciated on my behalf. Anyways, I am going to continue lurking this forum for me interesting computer knowledge
    huh ???
    I thought you said they were in Avast´s quarantine "the chest" ?

If you don´t remove them from there, then of course another antivirus program (Trend Micro) will always detect them.
    And most likely at the same time in the scan, since they aren´t moved anywhere.
    I´m testing multiple antivirus-programs on my testsystem, an one program detected some files that another program had quarantined.
    It was the EICAR "testvirus" which is excellent to test if a antivirus-program is working...
    As i already posted above: let Avast remove them from the "chest", then just scan (with Trend Micro) the Avast-folder where the "chest" are located.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    I think you should use Disk Cleanup or CCleaner to clean PC junk first. Restart your computer and then schedule a boot-time deep scan of Avast.

If you haven't done this yet, please do so and let us know if it helps.
    Ok I am doing that right now. I will later report to you the results of this Bootscan with Avast.