Doug_72 is offline Senior Member

Thumbs down Bitdefender, F-Secure, Kaspersky best; Windows Defender the worst says AV-TEST

AV-TEST, a security firm based in Madgeburg, Germany, subjected 28 security suites to a battery of exhaustive tests to determine which could best protect user PCs.

Bitdefender, F-Secure and Kaspersky Lab were among the top, with 100% scores. Microsoft Windows Defender came in almost at the bottom of the list, placing 14th out of 15.

Read it at Bitdefender, F-Secure, Kaspersky Rated Top Anti-Virus Suites.

So whats your take? Should we switch from Windows Defender to something free like Avast or Avira?

michaelm is offline New Member

Interesting and don't agree with their findings. First I've been fixing a few computers lately that have been seriously infected with adware and trojans and all were using up to date AVG. Second, I've tested a few Antivirus programs and Comodo and Emsisoft (free version) came out on top. The test were done in a real environment (not using any virtual programs) with 1978 total samples, this has been put on a video thats uploaded to Youtube. The only editing I've done on my video was that to save time (I do have each program in separate videos) and compacted all into one. Also as a note, the worst defenders on peoples computer that I come across are, 1. McAfee 2. Norton 3. MSE 4. AVG.
    My Results
    Winners
    Emsisoft 98.4
    Comodo 98.0
    Avira 97.4
    Kaspersky 97.0
    Eset 96.0
    Avast 94.1

Losers
    AVG at 95.0 Failed to initialize removal
    Microsoft Security Essentials at 16.0% Failed, froze up.
    Norton at 75.0 failed due to low detection rate

So when it comes to AV-Test, I have ask about their character and are they getting paid like other sites to up their ratings. My test results are basically equal to that of “Virus Bulletin”, so something is really wrong here.

Comodo was tested by AV-Test in June and scored a 100%, now what, did it fall that much since then?

Just go to Youtube and search for "Antivirus Detection Test", look for my name, the evidence is there.
    Last edited by michaelm; 20th August 2013 at 09:09.

hackerman1 is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_72 View Post
    AV-TEST, a security firm based in Madgeburg, Germany, subjected 28 security suites to a battery of exhaustive tests to determine which could best protect user PCs.

Bitdefender, F-Secure and Kaspersky Lab were among the top, with 100% scores. Microsoft Windows Defender came in almost at the bottom of the list, placing 14th out of 15.

Read it at Bitdefender, F-Secure, Kaspersky Rated Top Anti-Virus Suites.

So whats your take? Should we switch from Windows Defender to something free like Avast or Avira?

Old news....

I posted about this 2013-07-31:

"New testresults for antimalware-programs on W7 from AV-test:

"29th July 2013.

26 anti-virus programs were recently put to the test by the independent experts in the AV-TEST laboratory.

Here you can find the comprehensive test results and awarded AV-TEST certificates on Windows 7"

AV-TEST - The Independent IT-Security Institute: May/Jun 2013

NOTE: If you go to their main page and then click on the image left of the text then you will get the latest test on Windows XP !

So either follow the link above or click on comprehensive test results and awarded AV-TEST certificates in blue text on their page.

Althought Emsisoft AntiMalware (EAM) wasnt tested im convinced im using the right antimalwareprogram.
    Why ?
    Because Bitdefender got excellent results !
    EAM has 2 search-engines, one of them is Bitdefender.....
    "

New test results for antimalware programs on Windows 7:
    New test results for antimalware programs on Windows 7

Last edited by hackerman1; 20th August 2013 at 10:01.