Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hackerman1

Thread: Firefox now finally supports TLS 1.1 & 1.2 !

hackerman1 is offline Moderator

Default Firefox now finally supports TLS 1.1 & 1.2 !

Hi!

Firefox 27, first offered to release channel users on 2014-02-04, now finally supports TLS 1.1 & 1.2 !
    This means safer "surfing" on webbsites that uses encryption (https).
    Another good reason why you donīt need Internet Explorer anymore....

Pale Moon 24.3.2 which is based on Firefox 24 ESR, released 2014-02-11, now also supports TLS 1.1 & 1.2.
    If you want a faster version of Firefox, then try it.
    You can use both Firefox & Pale Moon at the same time, as they use different profiles.

There is also a 64-bit version of Pale Moon if you really want speed....
    Note: You need a 64-bit CPU to use it.

The Pale Moon Project homepage
    Last edited by hackerman1; 13th February 2014 at 18:23.
    HappyAndyK likes this.

Digerati is offline Windows Enthusiast

Another good reason why you donīt need Internet Explorer anymore....
    Nice try, but you cannot use security as an excuse to dismiss IE - ESPECIALLY for FF which is 4 years behind the times with TLS 1.1 & 1.2 support, and still the browser with the most newly reported vulnerabilities, and the weakest at defending against socially engineered malware distribution methods.

THAT SAID - any of the major browser offerings can be made secure by keeping Windows fully updated, using a good and current anti-malware solution, and most importantly, the user (ALWAYS the weakest link in security) avoids risky behavior like illegal filesharing via torrents and P2P sites, and avoids being "click-happy" on unsolicited downloads, attachments, and links.

The ONLY reason to use an alternative browser today is simply because you prefer the "look and feel" of one over the other. For example, my blue truck is better than your red truck - because I like blue better.

BTW, I recommend everyone subscribe to the Department of Homeland Security's US-CERT Cyber Security Vulnerability Summaries to keep track of newly reported vulnerabilities for all software. Note you need to keep track over the weeks as new vulnerabilities are not reported by all at the same time during the month.

Also, I recommend all concerned with browser security, keep watch of NSS Labs, Browser Security Reports - Socially Engineered Malware. NSS Labs is an "independent" lab, not sponsored by Chrome, MS, or Mozilla (as is often the case - ).

If you are really concerned with browser security, you should be using IE or Chrome. But again, even FF can be secured with proper user discipline (keeping systems current, avoiding risky behavior).