HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Thumbs up Shortcut Cleaner Scans Registry and Shortcuts for Malware

Shortcut Cleaner is a free utility from Bleeping Computers that will scan your computer for Windows shortcuts that have been hijacked by unwanted or malicious software. When Shortcut Cleaner finds bad shortcuts, it will automatically clean them so that they do not open unwanted programs.

The scan takes a few seconds only and when it has finished scanning your hard drive it will create a log file on your desktop called sc-cleaner.txt and then display it.

Download page.

Digerati is offline Windows Enthusiast

I have used this nice little shortcut and "Registry cleaner" before. My only complaint is that it automatically fixes things it finds. I would rather it present me with a list of findings, then allow me to pick and choose what to fix (if anything found).

That said, this program should not find any hijacked shortcuts or Registry entries. If it finds a shortcut or Registry entry that has been compromised and hijacked by one of those malicious programs, that means your security defenses were compromised and you need to secure and clean your computer immediately, and re-evaluate your security setup, and most importantly, tweak your user discipline.

And yes, this is a Registry cleaner.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Yes, actually even I prefer that any freeware first present the results to me with recommendations, so that I can select what to delete. So best to back up the registry first, I suppose.

I think, the program is also meant to identify and delete remnant malware traces in the Registry, so might be a good idea to run it after recovering from a malware attack.