Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HappyAndyK

Thread: Most free antivirus software push crapware and PUPs

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Exclamation Most free antivirus software push crapware and PUPs

A study carried out by Emsisoft, shows that many popular free antivirus software companies try to push crapware, bundled software and PUPs on to the Windows computer.

All tested free Antivirus programs come with toolbars or PUPs of some sort – except Bitdefender Free. A lot of them have a “rebranded” Ask toolbar that generates considerable pay per install (PPI) revenues while they’re labeled as part of the vendors own security solution. Some disclose they use Ask (for example Avira), others like AVG go as far as adding pops with coupon deals.
    1. Avast Free: offers Dropbox during installation by default, unless you uncheck the box
    2. Comodo AV Free: changes home page and search engine provider to Yahoo
    3. Panda AV free: installs Panda Security toolbar, yahoo search takeover and MyStart (powered by Yahoo) home page takeover
    4. AdAware free: installs WebCompanion by default unless user unchecks the box. Also installs Bing Homepage takeover and Bing search takeover by default, unless opted out
    5. Avira free: offers Dropbox after installation. Takes over search with Avira Safe Search, which is a a white-labeled version of the Ask toolbar.
    6. ZoneAlarm free AV + Firewall: with Custom Install: Zonealarm homepage and search takeover.This is a rebranded Ask toolbar, which is not mentioned on ZoneAlarm’s website.
    7. AVG free: installs Web Tuneup, including AVG SafeGuard. Sets AVG Secure Search as homepage, new tab page and defaults search engine. Toolbar is Ask powered.

If you want to read more, visit Emsisoft Blog.
    hackerman1 likes this.

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Thanks Andy !
    Good information.
    You saved me from posting about it....
    I got the newsletter from Emsisoft today, I was going to post after I had read it,
    but I haven´t had time yet.

I posted this in another thread (Here’s What Happens When You Install the Top 10 Download.com Apps...)

"Calendar Of Updates
    has been monitoring this problem for years,
    they have a list of software that gives you toolbars, cleaners, optimizers and other crap when you install them.
    It´s called Installers Hall of Shame

If you should install some software and notice it installs (or try to install) "crapware", then get a (FREE) membership over at Calendar Of Updates and report it so it can be added to the list.

Also remember that many legitimate software want to install "automatic-update programs" that are not dangerous but will run in the background, take system resources and slow down your computer.

So be careful about what you install !
    "

It´s the same problem as when downloading from freeware sites....

jaylach is offline Windows Enthusiast

Just curious as some info does not seem to be included although the blog does use Download.com as an example...

Does anyone know if the AV crapware installs are just from download portals or also from the author's site?

Last time I downloaded Comodo Internet Security directly from Comodo they tried to add some "extras" during installation.
    Those options were marked (pre-checked), but unchecking them solved it.
    Nothing extra was installed.

And, if i remember correctly, last time I downloaded Avast they also tried that,
    and also tried to change some settings (might have been browser homepage or similar).
    And I downloaded from their own "official" download, which might have been CNET, I don´t remember exactly.
    But that was some time ago, things might have changed since then...
    Although I recently saw Avast mentioned over at Calendar Of Updates...

And some programs install crapware even if pre-checked options are un-checked !

Look at the list on Calendar Of Updates: Installers Hall of Shame

Last edited by hackerman1; 21st January 2015 at 02:00.

jaylach is offline Windows Enthusiast

OK, thanks. Interesting info.

Thank you !

btw. I have updated my post above....

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by jaylach View Post
    Just curious as some info does not seem to be included although the blog does use Download.com as an example...
    Does anyone know if the AV crapware installs are just from download portals or also from the author's site?
    First it could be bundled by the developer themselves or secondly, download sites may require you to download their wrappers or download managers, which would then foist PUPs. More at What is Bundleware.

Alia is offline New Member

yeah , pre-checking is the way they foist off their crapware on us. Now I have got adsmatte popu-ups, and cannot realize how thee adware managed to infect my PC, i am quite positive that i have not loaded any freeware for years.
    I googled around and found this description of the ads, it suggests manual removal of adsmatte, right... give it a try

RulJessica is offline Beginner

Nice one. Thanks for sharing this information.