Arun Kumar is offline MVP Alumni

Question Best Anti Virus For Windows 8.1

I am back to 8.1 as I wish to get the feel and then move to Windows 10 as it is released (consumer version). Meanwhile, I am at loss whether to install MSE or other AV on my computer. I believed that MSE comes preinstalled with Windows 8.1 and so does Defender. But there are no options to right click downloaded files and run a scan.

1. Does MSE comes preinstalled with 8.1?
    2. If not, what AV to use so that it doesn't slow down my computer (it's just 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM)

Thanks in advance,
    Arun Kumar.

hackerman1 is offline Moderator

Microsoft renamed MSE to Defender in W8.
    Which of course created a lot of confusions, since Defender was something else in previous versions....
    Considering the testresults for MSE / Defender lately, a 3rd party antimalware-program is a very good idea....

Personally I always recommend Emsisoft AntiMalware (EAM).
    I have been using it for many years now.
    EAM uses litte resources and does not slow down your computer.
    It works well on older computers with slow CPU´s and limited amount of RAM, like yours.
    Emsisoft also provides excellent support, via direct contact and their own forum.

Emsisoft Anti-Malware for best protection - Free removal of Viruses, Bots, Spyware, Keyloggers, Trojans and Rootkits

And EAM has got excellent results in antimalware-tests, take a look at my posts under Security

If you choose EAM, then I can help you with a few tips about the best settings for your computer....
    Last edited by hackerman1; 7th February 2015 at 10:33.

Thank you, hackerman. I am going to download and install EAM right now. I would also want to check out the tips you have for me.

Thanks

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

You can Add Scan With Windows Defender To Context Menu using Ultimate Windows Tweaker 3.

Free versions of Emsisoft AntiMalware and Malwarebytes do not offer real-time scanning. But you could have Windows Defender as your main AV program and have one of these as a second-opinion scanner which you may run every week.

From this list of free antivirus software, I would suggest BitDefender. It offers real-time protection too.

Thank you for the details. I will install BitDefender for real time protection and use Emmisoft as second opinion scanner.

Thanks and Regards

Kapil Arya is offline Microsoft MVP

Hello,

From my expericence, I will recommend you to stay with Windows Defender when it comes to Windows 8.1. It's bit capable to manage your system against threats and the contradiction factor is reduced to zero in its case

Good luck

hackerman1 is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kapil Arya View Post
    From my expericence, I will recommend you to stay with Windows Defender when it comes to Windows 8.1. It's bit capable to manage your system against threats.
    That´s exactly my point.
    It will protect you "a little bit"...
    Read the testreports....

RulJessica is offline Beginner

To protect your important documents,confidential files,images and many more in the system then required Computer protection. So, you need to use antivirus software to protect your PC from different online and offline threats.

There are many antivirus software are available for windows 8.1 like Avast,Optimo Antivirus(AV),Norton,Avria. I am using OptimoAV, you can choose anyone.

Digerati is offline Windows Enthusiast

FTR, I've been using MSE with MBAM on all my W7 system since W7 came out and the new Windows Defender with MBAM on my W8 systems and W10 system with no problems (or infections). I have no problem recommending this setup.

Note I run MBAM just to make sure as a double-check that MSE/WD (or me) did not let something slip by and since the release of W7 when I started using MSE, nothing has. Not only are MSE/WD light on resources but they work, are easy to use and most importantly, keep updated, and of course, they are free.