25th October 2015, 17:44 #1
Remove Hao123 virus from Windows computer
I tried to remove the Hao123 virus from my computer but without success.
The virus appends the "...hao123..." to the IE shortcut pathname [in Shortcut>Target when I opened the IE properties] so that each time I started IE it showed the Hao123 homepage.
I tried Many ways to remove/fix the problem, including:
1. Ran various anti-virus scan softwares [some detected the virus but it just didn't go away].
2. Physically deleted the "...hao123..." at various locations [from the IE file at the startmenu and program files] but it still came back.
3. Reset my system to earlier version [prior to the suspected time my computer contracted the virus] and it still didn't work.
4. Added Hao123 to the 'restricted sites' in the 'internet options>security' and it didn't help anything.
5. Reloaded IE and it didn't work either.
Is there anything else I could do to remove the virus? The same virus also infected other internet browsers in my computer in similar ways.
27th October 2015, 17:05 #2
Hao123 is a browser hijacker that displays ads.
AdwCleaner is a good free tool that will help remove it completely.
See Browser Hijacking and Free Browser Hijacker Removal Tools