Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Is Windows Defender reliable?

bilwedd is offline Banned

Default Is Windows Defender reliable?

Why do reviews rip Windows Defender to pieces it shakes your faith in Windows 10 which is in itself a brilliant product by Microsoft. Why cant Microsoft give us the best Anti Virus and Malware destroyer possible . Its Free but unsafe that doesn't make sense. Microsoft please help give us strength give us belief give us peace of mind

RolandJS is offline Windows Enthusiast

Both Microsoft security products work very well. Windows Firewall works even better than Windows Defender. Many only use those two products. I, along with many others, choose to use 3rd party programs that work better [for us] than the Microsoft products. Better in: setup, configuration, control over OPs, more than one scheduled scan possible [referring only to WD], and so on.

Roland thanks for your reply I have Kaspersky but I would love to have the same feeling of Security on Windows 10. I cant afford to buy 3rd party for my Grandkids and worry about the so called weakness that is constantly pointed out by so called experts Surely such a Massive concern like Microsoft could match the Big boys. Or is it a ploy to get people to open their wallets and create Paranoina

Tino is offline Beginner

Windows 10 Home: You can make Defender even more reliable by inserting the following registry key (it activates antispyware-protection):

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows Defender\MpEngine]
    "MpEnablePus"=dword:00000001

Quote Originally Posted by Tino View Post
    Windows 10 Home: You can make Defender even more reliable by inserting the following registry key (it activates antispyware-protection):

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows Defender\MpEngine]
    "MpEnablePus"=dword:00000001
    How do I batch-file the above? I'm not sure how one inserts the above into the registry.

Tino is offline Beginner

1. You can download it from here: Redirecting

2. un-zip it

3. open with... Registry-Editor

4. done
    Last edited by Tino; 19th January 2016 at 18:12.

HappyAndyK is online now Site Administrator

Bilwed: Microsoft has said that Windows Defender will only gives baseline protection, which means, it is only good enough for users for regular day-to-day surfing. This may interest you - Is Windows Defender sufficient and enough.

RolandJS: See Make Windows Defender protect you against Potentially Unwanted Programs too.

Tino - got the registry file, added to all three computers.
    HappyAndyK - registry path given in the article does not match my [Windows 7 Pro 7601 build] WD registry path...will search for MpEngine.
    HappyAndyK likes this.

HappyAndyK is online now Site Administrator

^ Strange, my article is base on this Technet link, which has been mentioned in my post. It worked on my Windows 10.

Roland Just read an Article AV Tests were carried out in some Lab in Germany WINDOWS DEFENDER finished just below the big boys . it finished in front of NORTON, tremendous. At last Microsoft are giving us a powerful security system. Roland I'm 68yrs old and new to IT, could you let the Windows Community about those results it so reassuring thanks again Best Regard Bilwedd

Page 1 of 2 12 Last