hackerman1 is offline Moderator

Default Fortinet FortiClient for Windows 10 review

I previously tried Forticlient 5.2.4: FortiClient v5.2.4 with Windows 10 support released

And noticed: "But, you can not enable realtime antivirus-protection, without a Fortigate hardware firewall !?"

From the documentation for FortiClient: "When FortiClient is registered to FortiGate for endpoint control,
    antivirus is enabled and disabled in the FortiClient Profile.
    "
    So i said: "This means that Forticlient is useless as a free antimalware-program !"

I recently noticed that Fortinet had released a new version (5.4) so decided to take another look at it.

My review of Fortinet FortiClient 5.4

There is no off-line installer, which means that you need an internet-connection when installing.

Installing FortiClient requires that you uninstall all other antimalware-programs.

I use Emsisoft AntiMalware (EAM) and Comodoīs Firewall & HIPS.
    I also have Comodo Antivirus installed, as part of Comodo Internet Security (CIS),
    but even though it is not active i had to uninstall both EAM & CIS in order to be able to install FortiClient.

FortiClient installed without any problems.

But FortiClent is very primitive with limited settings:
    Scan files as they are downloaded or copied to my system
    Block all access to malicious webbsites

There is no option for what to do if it finds malware, so i assume it means "automatic quarantine".
    Which is very stupid, and dangerous !

Because if a system-file is falsely detected as malware and quarantined, it can stop your computer from working properly, or even start !

Regardless of which antimalware-program you are using, you should never allow "automatic quarantine" or deleting !

Always set the program to
    notify, and let you decide what to do.

Some years ago McAffee "killed" a lot of computers worldwide,

by falsely detecting Windows system-files as malware and quarantining them.
    And if i remember correctly, McAffee repeated the same mistake a second time about a year or two later...
    And a few years ago MalwareBytes Antimalware (MBAM) did the same thing, killing a lot of computers.

The setting for Scheduled Scan is preset for first day of each month (at 19:30) !?
    You can not edit or delete it, or add another time !?
    Most people would probably like to scan daily, or at least weekly, to make sure that everything is OK...

There are no options for updating.

See screenshots below.

FortiClient has one good thing though, it includes a VPN,
    which of course can be very useful fx. if you use a non-secure free WLAN network.

Uninstalling FortiClient was not "clean", it complained about me not having needed permissions (!?) leaving some files behind.

Summary

You do not want FortiClient.

As described above it has very limited settings, which might "kill" your computer.
    And althought FortiClient has got good testresults in some tests, they were not so good in other tests...

There are other free programs available, with even better testresults.
    I suggest using Avira instead.
    Avira has all the options you need for Scheduled Scan and notification.
    And best of all, it works together with Comodo Firewall.

I installed Avira with both EAM and CIS activ and Avira did not complain.

I actually used that combination (EAM, CIS, Avira) years ago (for a while i also had MSE active),
    and i never had any problems.
    Although i havenīt used Avira in years i believe it still works well with Comodo.

In order to uninstall FortiClient i restored my computer from a system-backup.
    So i donīt have Avira installed at the moment, but i might install it again and test it for a while.
    But that will be another review....

Screenshots

FortiClient 1.jpg FortiClient 2.jpg FortiClient 3.jpg FortiClient 4.jpg

FortiClient 5.jpg FortiClient 6.jpg FortiClient 7.jpg FortiClient 8.jpg
    Last edited by hackerman1; 7th May 2016 at 17:45.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

I had no idea that they offered a free antivirus solution. Thanks for noting down your observations.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    I had no idea that they offered a free antivirus solution. Thanks for noting down your observations.
    Really ?
    Take a look at my post about Forticlient 5.2.4, FortiClient v5.2.4 with Windows 10 support released, you "liked" it....
    Last edited by hackerman1; 8th May 2016 at 09:38.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

LOL, I must have forgotten about it. Free AV to me usually means - Avira, Avast, BitDefender, Comodo.

Obviously...

There is no reason to remember FortiClient, (read the review)...