Yogibolle is offline New Member

Default Does Chrome not being compatible with Vista signal further use huge vulnerability?

Hi everyone

This is my first post on the forum and I tried to find some information before resorting to starting a thread. Very sorry if this is already covered. Will close thread if necessary.

So, I have a very old Dell laptop (Dell XPS M1530) which I bought in 2008 that came with Windows Vista installed. The laptop is still running and I have not upgraded the operating system yet.
    I have noticed lately, while using the Chrome browser, that I am alerted to the browser not being compatible with the use of XP or Vista any longer. Firefox seems to work fine.

I googled the issue and found an article (from November 2015 on Techcrunch.com) that states that the lack of critical security updates in the operating system as the reason for the discontinued support from Chrome.

Does this mean (was not aware until know) that I am particularly vulnarable to viruses and malware if I continue to surf using Vista? Should an upgrade to Windows 7 or higher be of immediate importance?
    I wonder if my laptop is too weak to handle more updated operating systems.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

As far as i know it is not "dangerous" to continue using Vista.
    If you want another webbrowser instead of Chrome, then try Pale Moon

Upgrading to a newer O/S shouldnīt be a problem.
    If your computer can run Vista, then it shouldnīt have any problem with W7 (or W8 / W10).
    The requirements for W7 are the same, although W7 actually uses less RAM then Vista...

W7 is faster then Vista, so an upgrade is recommended...
    Last edited by hackerman1; 15th June 2016 at 18:54.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Windows Vista is still supported and Microsoft will release Security Updates for it.

Quote Originally Posted by hackerman1 View Post
    As far as i know it is not "dangerous" to continue using Vista.
    The requirements for W7 are the same, although W7 actually uses less RAM then Vista...
    W7 is faster then Vista, so an upgrade is recommended...
    Thank you for the reply, hackerman1. Good to know that I am still safe if I continue to use Vista. Additionally great to hear that an upgrade to Windows 7 should be of no problem and that it also has its benefits.
    Will aso have a look at the link you provided.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK
    Windows Vista is still supported and Microsoft will release Security Updates for it.
    Thanks for the info regarding support and security updates. Very relieved to hear

Yes, Vista is still supported, but not for long....

Extended support ends 2017-04-11 !

So you should plan to upgrade to a newer O/S.

Client operating systems Latest update or service pack End of mainstream support End of extended support
    Windows XP Service Pack 3 April 14, 2009 April 8, 2014
    Windows Vista Service Pack 2 April 10, 2012 April 11, 2017
    Windows 7 * Service Pack 1 January 13, 2015 January 14, 2020
    Windows 8 Windows 8.1 January 9, 2018 January 10, 2023
    Windows 10, released in July 2015 ** N/A October 13, 2020 October 14, 2025

More info: Windows lifecycle fact sheet - Windows Help
    Last edited by hackerman1; 16th June 2016 at 08:24.

Quote Originally Posted by hackerman1 View Post
    Yes, Vista is still supported, but not for long....
    So you should plan to upgrade to a newer O/S.
    Thank you again for providing further information. I clicked on the link at the bottom but did not fully understand the following:

Will there be a possible Service Pack 3 after the Extended Support for Vista's Service Pack 2 has passed?
    or
    Will this be the complete end of support for Vista and an OS upgrade will be imminent?

Wish I had more knowledge about computers, so it's great to know that the forum and its users are so helpful with answering people's questions

I also noticed that Windows 7 and 8 .1 users are offered free upgrades to windows 10.
    However, I got the impression that people are very happy with Windows 7, so if I go ahead and purchase Windows 7, perhaps it's better to stick with it rather than upgrading to Windows 10?

Do you have a personal opinion on this?

Vista is "finished" next year, so donīt expect any service-packs...

I tried W10-TP and didnīt like it.
    Although Microsoft changed a few things in W10 compared to W8 / 8.1, itīs basically still the same stupid userinterface.....

Get W7, and request a free upgrade to W10.
    Then try W10, if you donīt like it, then you can go back to W7....

Partition your harddisk, with at least 3 partitions.
    One partition for each O/S, and one partition for your files, will make your life a lot easier if you want to use another O/S, like fx. go back from W10 to W7.
    And your files will be safe....

Partitions: W7, W10, personal files.

Installing W10 on itīs own partition will give you plenty of time to try W10 without any timelimit.

Doing it the Microsoft-way will give you max. 30 days trial, after that you are stuck with W10 !

Also remember that 2016-07-29 is the last day to get a free upgrade to W10, donīt wait to long...

From what i have seen over the years, a "Microsoft-upgrade" usually causes problems....
    Itīs the "same old story" every time Microsoft releases a new O/S and people start upgrading....
    In my opinion the best (and safest) way is to always do a "clean" installation.

Copy all your files to another disk or USB-drive, install the new O/S, then copy all your files to the new O/S.
    Or, even better: partition the harddisk, keep O/S and personal files separated.
    Since you donīt want to go back to Vista, copy all your files, partition the disk, and do a "clean" install of W7.
    Then install W10 on another partition.

Itīs easy to change the location of your personal files ( Music, Pictures, Documents) etc.
    And if you have 2 O/S (or more) they can use the same partition for personal files, which means that both O/S will be "syncronized" (have the same files).

My own layout: several O/S with one (common) partition for programs, and one for docs, music etc.
    Last edited by hackerman1; 17th June 2016 at 13:05.

Edie Amato is offline Beginner

thanks for the replies