pstein is offline New Member

Default How to reset initial Windows Firewall state to default? Why so many Allow rules?

After having used for some years another firewall I considered now to switch to MS built in Windows Firewall (in Win 7 Pro).

So I deinstalled the old FW and enabled the MS WF.

When I go now to wf.msc e.g into "Inbound rules" section then there are much to my surprise many "Allow" rules for external, non-microsoft prgms which I never entered. They must be added (in the past) somehow automatically.

How can this be?

How can I reset the rule set to the initial state just as if I would have installed Win 7 just a few minutes ago?

Moreover I searched for a 3rd party program which is currently not listed in the WinFW ruleset e.g. a shareware or other program ABC. Ok, now I started this program and did some actions which triggered an Internet connection from this program.
    Unfortunately It worked.

I expected a WinFW popup informing me that prorgam ABC wants to connect outside....but nothing happened.
    The program was able to do this WITHOUT prompt.

Yes, I enabled "notifications when prgms blocked"

So what?

Why is WinFW not doing its job?

Peter

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

The Windows Firewall is meant for the common end user who does not want to or have the know-how to set rules. It gives out near-nil notifications. The OS, based on the program reputation & user usage, sets the rules automatically.

If you want to reset the Firewall settings pls see Restore or reset Windows Firewall settings to defaults